Halyard Length- How long do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Haibach

I'm attending a boatshow on Sunday and may purchase a length of appropriate diameter line, but as far as length, I'm unsure. My lines lead aft to the cockpit. How long is your Catalina 27 halyard? do you add a few feet to be able to end for end and cut off a few inches (especially the part that rests on the turning block when the main is up)? Do you need an eye splice or will a simple bowline suffice for the shackle? Splices run $20/ea in the chandlery.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
try the C27 Association website

and make some measurements from the brochures. Your boat, your choice on splices vs bowlines. We've used bowlines for the past 35 years. Oh, once I used a splice, on an anchor line.

D

Dave

Halyard Lengths

Tim: Just so happens that last Sunday I was thinking about replacing my halyards and looked up the info in some of my notes for my CAT 27...From page 15 of my Catalina 27 Parts Catalogue I relay the following: Main Halyard Wire, 7 X 19, 1/8" X 32'-0" Main Halyard Tail, Braided Dacron, 5/16" X 35'-0" Jib Halyard Wire, 7 X 19, 1/8" X 35'-0" Jib Halyard Tail, Braided Dacron, 5/16" X 35'-0" If you look around at PYACHT and the like you will find lines already made up...they may be a bit longer, but cutting is easier that adding. Hope that this helps....DAVE

Apr 10, 2006
- - St. Petersburg, Fl
can make them shorter/ can not make them longer

I just repaced two of my halyards. I made them both a little longer than the owner manual stated. Plus I measured out myself ( I knew the height of my mast ) Then measured back two cockpit plus a few feet to grab on to. In case manual was wrong.

T

Tim Haibach

Halyard length

Thanks for your help guys. I did actually come across the sizing diagram in my 1985 owners manual that says 5/16" x 68' dacron line. I'll add a few feet beyond that just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.