Halyard identification

Oct 7, 2019
Catalina Capri 22 Pueblo Reservoir
I use a furler. So I really only use jib/spinnaker halyards for is to raise my jib cover. I want to pursue using a asymetrical spinnaker at some point, but I must confess I don't know which halyard is which? Need a clue. Pic supplied.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I use a furler. So I really only use jib/spinnaker halyards for is to raise my jib cover. I want to pursue using a asymetrical spinnaker at some point, but I must confess I don't know which halyard is which? Need a clue. Pic supplied.

Thanks in advance
I’m not familiar with your boat but it looks like there is only one line exiting the mast in your photo? Your post implies there is more than one??

If you are considering an asym you might want to consider a top down furler for it. Obviously you would still require a halyard for it.

Feb 16, 2017
The top halyard is the Spinnaker halyard, the lower sheave is for the jib/genoa. It looks like it's missing?

Oct 7, 2019
Catalina Capri 22 Pueblo Reservoir
ODJ22...Thanks. That was my thought. I am a newer owner of this Capri, and I was a bit confused about the jib halyard exiting the mast below the forestay. Also was confused about a spinnaker halyard being so thick. We have few spinnaker sailors on our reservoir (Pueblo Reservoir, in Colorado) because of schizo wind changes. But that doesn't mean I might not attempt it. I did get an asy with the boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH

Thanks in advance
Assuming you have the CDI furler with its integrated halyard, the lower jib furler is not used. I just changed to a Harken furler that uses the jib halyard.

The sheave above forestay attachment is for the spinnaker.
The sheave below forestay attachment is for the jib/genoa.

Attach the asymmetrical to the bow (I started with a simple 1-inch pulpit eye — Pulpit Eye for 1" Tubing) with sheets leading to the stern pulpit block attachment points.

It is simple enough to launch the asymmetrical with no other equipment but need to have two people – one on the tiller and one of the foredeck.

Using a sock/sleeve is the next level of simplicity for launching and dousing but still works best with two people. The sock/sleeve requires someplace on the mast to fasten the sock hoisting/dousing continuous line. If you are a serious racer, the raised sock does add a bit to wind resistance at the top of the mast.

If you want to use a top-down asymmetrical furler, the spinnaker sheave needs to be raised about a foot plus a bowsprit will need to be added to increase the separation of the jib/genoa and the spinnaker and the bow pulpit.

Feb 16, 2017
If you have gone to a Harken ESP furler then you must use the jib halyard, and it is recommended that a halyard restrainer is used as well. This will be mounted about 6-8'' below the bearing surface of the headstay, so I believe that would be 4-5'' below the bearing surface of the jib halyard sheave.