Halyard buying and installing

Spence

Sep 29, 2013
Sloop Halman 20 Marina
I'll need 3 new halyards as they have had a mouse nest built around them on the interior of the aluminum mast. Are these very expensive? I think they are 3/8", and need approx 50' ft of each. The ones I have on my boat date to the 80's, and on the outside are green from mold. The insides have tufts knawed out in places. The lines must have been the better ones for the Halman 20, as one end has the braided-in stainless sail snaps which I probably can't afford. I'd like to get 3 different colors.
I figure that feeding them thru the mast will call for using fishing line or lighter cordage tied to the ends and fed around the pulleys. Before I do that I'll remove the head and pass a plumbers fish with a heavy scrub brush attached to remove the urine and feces infested nest. Then I'll insert a garden hose with a detergent sprayer and clean out the mess. Is there any lube to put on pulley shafts, or would dust sticking to lube wear the pulleys down more.?

Thanks for the tips.

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
One way to rig new lines is to splice the new to the old by simply butting the ends together and sewing them together then using the old to pull the new through the blocks. I rigged new halyards this way.
You can cut the stainless steel shackles off of the old lines and eye-splice to the new - I think West Marine will do this for you if you buy your rope from them - or you can tie them to the new line using a halyard hitch as in this thread: http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/halyard-knots.178883/.
Not sure what the current prices are for 3/8" line - maybe $1 a foot? Or less, I'm sure many posters can put you on to the best prices for good quality line.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
West marine is selling rope at 40% off over the memorial day weekend.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Wow, 3/8" halyard? Ugh. Classic example of oversizing to accommodate the stretch of a double braid polyester rope. I used 1/4" Vectran cored line on mine, which was stupid. I shoulda used Dyneema cored, because it lasts longer over sheaves. Still, one of my halyards could be used to lift like 4 of my boats together! When you get new halyards, I would for sure use a more modern, high tech rope, like even VPC from New England Ropes. Much less stretch. (The 3/8" used on your boat wasn't for increased strength, the polyester is strong enough. It's about stretch.)

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Oh, yup, I just worked the SBO halyard calculator. They recommended 1/4" Samson XLS, which is a double braid polyester. Samson says it's elastic elongation is 2.2% at 20% of max load. Then check out the Samson XLS Extra, which is a blended Dyneema core. It's 20% stretch is 0.8%, and lighter weight aloft. (XLS Extra is similar to NER VPC.) Note that SBO does sell the XLS Extra-T, which is the same construction as Extra, just colored more traditionally.

After my fancy, expensive, completely unnecessary Vectran cored halyards get ratty, I'll buy some XLS Extra-T halyards from SBO. Geez, what was I thinking wasting all that coin on Vectran cored fancy stuff? :D

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
ONE reason for 3/8 over 1/4 is how much easier it is on your hands when you haul hard on it. If you are always using a winch, it's not a problem.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, we are talking about the halyard for a Halman20. A nice thick nubby line meets the need for a halyard that can be hoisted easily and quickly by hand.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Another consideration: The halyards need to be compatible with the sheaves, cleats, clutches. If the running rigging that's there now has worked well, and you are unsure about changing diameters, replace what you have in kind.

As for rope selection and shackle choices/splicing: this is a good opportunity for you to start getting to know some of the online supply houses. Call up their customer service and ask, or use their chat features. I have been very impressed with the service of the three or four houses I've contacted - friendly advice and I've been steered to just-the-right gear and services that I would not have known about.

I recommend that you buy some whipping twine and whip the ends of your new lines, if you don't have the supplier splice them.

I've use dry spray lube on my boat parts and it has worked very well. No dirt build-up.

Last edited:

JTulls

Dec 6, 2014
International 14 and J-Boat J80 San Diego
Is there any lube to put on pulley shafts, or would dust sticking to lube wear the pulleys down more.?
Check out McLube products (online or at local store/West Marine) -- we spray tracks and bearings before each race weekend to keep everything from binding up

emmott

Nov 11, 2018
Halman 20 Halman 20 albany
I'll need 3 new halyards as they have had a mouse nest built around them on the interior of the aluminum mast. Are these very expensive? I think they are 3/8", and need approx 50' ft of each. The ones I have on my boat date to the 80's, and on the outside are green from mold. The insides have tufts knawed out in places. The lines must have been the better ones for the Halman 20, as one end has the braided-in stainless sail snaps which I probably can't afford. I'd like to get 3 different colors.
I figure that feeding them thru the mast will call for using fishing line or lighter cordage tied to the ends and fed around the pulleys. Before I do that I'll remove the head and pass a plumbers fish with a heavy scrub brush attached to remove the urine and feces infested nest. Then I'll insert a garden hose with a detergent sprayer and clean out the mess. Is there any lube to put on pulley shafts, or would dust sticking to lube wear the pulleys down more.?

Thanks for the tips.
spence, I would lube with sail slide lube, btw,have you seen the halman 20 site on FB? many owners there.