Hairline Cracks in Cabin top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2013
Catalina 22 Sport Cave Run Lake, Kentucky
I have a 2006 Catalina 22 Sport. I noticed this year I have developed quite a few hair-line cracks in my cabin top. The are quite literally the size of hairs or even large spider webs. I can't imagine they go much deeper than the surface of the fiberglass. The is not moisture inside the cabin. Is anyone familiar with this type of crack? Should I be worried about them. What causes them and is there anything I can do about them? Maybe some white silicone caulk?

Jul 31, 2013
Catalina 22 oklahoma city
Spider Cracks

I have a 2006 Catalina 22 Sport. I noticed this year I have developed quite a few hair-line cracks in my cabin top. The are quite literally the size of hairs or even large spider webs. I can't imagine they go much deeper than the surface of the fiberglass. The is not moisture inside the cabin. Is anyone familiar with this type of crack? Should I be worried about them. What causes them and is there anything I can do about them? Maybe some white silicone caulk?
Spider Cracks is what there called this happens alot on fiberglass boats whats happening is the jelcoat is cracking they normally don't leak the proper way to fix it is to grind out a bigger crack and refill with jelcoat and sand buff and rewax but 9 times out of ten they come back i would just fill with spot putty and repaint deck done properly looks like new again but it's a bit of work to repaint.
Thxs Sam

Nov 17, 2009
Catalina C-310 Falmouth
More on spider cracks

I have a few of these on my 2001 C-310. The local fiberglass expert said they are limited to the gelcoat and are caused by flexing of the deck. He wasn't too concerned about any long term problems that they might cause.
A previous post recommended a couple of ways to deal with them.

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
Many times gel coat cracks appear due to flexing of the area. That's why you should fend off by pushing on shrouds, not lifeline stanchions. So if cracks ARE caused by minor flexing you are wasting time trying to cosmetically repair. They'll come back.

Re-inforce hardware with (thicker) backing plates or learn to live with it. It comes with the territory when you buy a production boat. Generally speaking they're harmless.

Feb 4, 2006
- - Webster, NY
Captain Tolleys is great if you don't want to grind the cracks. If you grind/widen the cracks, use 2 part gel coat paste instead of the one-part paste in a tube or putty. If it is color matched correctly, the fix will be almost invisible and no painting wil be required. Spectrum sells some gel paste premixed for newer model boats (first link), or you can add thickener to gel coat yourself (second link)

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=F553510K&type=4&eq=&desc=F553510K&key=it

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=F111000Q&type=0&eq=&desc=F111000Q&key=it

JeffM

May 25, 2004
Catalina 36 Lake Perry KS
If they are not near lead bearing hardware or indicating water intrusion, leave them and alone and live with them. I recently heard a surveyor say that they considered this cosmetic and of no concern ... UNLESS they see that repair work has been done. At that point they start investigating further to see is some significant issue or previous damage is being covered up.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Can Captain Tolleys be color matched?
If I do elect to widen the cracks and use a 2 part color match product, what is the best tool to use to wide the crack without doing more damage than good.
BTW, does anyone know just how thick Hunter applied the gelcoat on the deck?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It doesn't need to be, it's an almost very thin liquid that literally dives into the cracks and doesn't leave any residue on the outside.

Regardless of the layup, if you choose to open up the crack, I suggest you do some reading up on repairing gelcoat and fibergalss. The details are pretty long to type in here.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It doesn't need to be, it's an almost very thin liquid that literally dives into the cracks and doesn't leave any residue on the outside.

Regardless of the layup, if you choose to open up the crack, I suggest you do some reading up on repairing gelcoat and fiberglass. The details are pretty long to type in here.

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 376 San Rafael
Also air voids

A gelcoat guy once told me it can also be due to air voids between the gelcoat and the fiberglass layup. I have more than a few on my Hunter 376. Many are in the corners around the companionway, line lockers, and sea hood. If they are deep, you need to fill them with epoxy and then finish over with gelcoat or gelcoat patch. Use the stuff from Spectrum sold through iboats. They have pre-color matched gelcoat for many makes and years of boats based on age and anticipated oxidation rates.

Jan 21, 2013
beneteau 381 mattapoisett
epoxy and gelcoat dont mix.

A gelcoat guy once told me it can also be due to air voids between the gelcoat and the fiberglass layup. I have more than a few on my Hunter 376. Many are in the corners around the companionway, line lockers, and sea hood. If they are deep, you need to fill them with epoxy and then finish over with gelcoat or gelcoat patch. Use the stuff from Spectrum sold through iboats. They have pre-color matched gelcoat for many makes and years of boats based on age and anticipated oxidation rates.
Be careful about using epoxy to fill voids on the deck. If you choose to paint ,epoxy is OK, if you choose to gelcoat , use polyester. I use a dremel with spyirel cutter that has a small blunt tip to open voids and large cracks. Tape off and pour in some finish gel coat (waxed) in the crack. The job is actually very easy. if the void is large enough to require filler then mix some polyester laminating resine with filler fill void leaving some room for gel coat.

Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
I use a hand held can opener to rake out the cracks. brush in 2 part gel coat and sand lighltly. Bye bye cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.