Had an issue last weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2004
Crown 34 Sidney BC
Dropped by the shop this morning where I saw the old elbow and manifold. The elbow to manifold gasket surface was corroded through in several places. The thermostat was essentially stuck shut.

The most revealing part was that the manifold end of the elbow was almost completely blocked with carbon; perhaps only 25% open. The new 'used' manifold looked great. Should be in by the weekend.

I'll update everyone when she's back together!
I dropped by the shop to pick up my keys and the invoice. Gulp! $1,189 mostly parts tho'. Even a used exhaust manifold doesn't come cheap! A test run will have to wait till the weekend.

Jun 1, 2004
Crown 34 Sidney BC
Had a chance to test the new manifold & elbow

Spent about an hour on the boat today. Fired her up, noticed a different sound immediately, can't really describe it but it was different. I was alone and it was blowing 20+ kts so I just fired her up at the dock.

Let her warm up for about 10 mins, then gradually ran up to max of 3000 rpm, no issues, no smoke. Put her in forward and gradually ran her up to the point where she started smoking; about 2300 rpm. In reverse she would pull 2500 rpm.

So, I expect that the new elbow and clean exhaust manifold have made a significant difference in performance. An on the water test will provide better results. So far I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.