Had a nice sail today...

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
for the first time since buying the boat in February. I have been working hard on it to get it in shape, and finally had the necessities taken care of to be able to motor off the dock and hoist the sails. We had a fresh breeze blowing in Pago Pago harbor; we put the 2nd reef in the main and used the jib, and my wife was helming for her first time. We had it heeled over to 30 degrees a couple of times in some puffs and there were some steering incidents which resulted in rearranging all my tools down below, but a good time was had by all. We did have a couple of officials waiting for us upon returning to the dock; it seems the harbor master was not pleased we had not contacted them via radio prior to gallivanting around the bay...we get to go see him in the morning for captain's mast or something.:yikes: It was nice to get to sail the boat after working so hard; still have a lot to do, but she will sail!

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Be nice to the Harbormaster. He's only trying to do his job and it's like herding cats. (At least as far as he's concerned.)

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'm trying to understand why the harbormaster would care if someone goes sailing. Isn't that why we have boats and marinas?

Ken

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
The yacht that came in a couple of weeks ago caused a bit of kerfluffle, and the China virus concern, and any potential shipping traffic, and control measures, etc etc. Sort of like an aircraft communicating with the tower before takeoff.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Aloha, Honu. Sailing in paradise is a wonderful thing. BTW, I love swimming with the Honu here in Maui!

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
Honu are great to swim with! I do not see them too often here, but am looking forward to sailing back to Hawaiian waters soon and seeing more of them. I use to hang out with them at the Haleiwa trench and Sharks Cove on Oahu. Aloha Tom!

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
Seals were common growing up on the Oregon coast, but now they are so numerous they have taken over the piers and docks, accoring to some videos I have seen. I have seen monk seals a few times when i was living in Hawaii, not around here though.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Seals have become common in New England, as Capt. Larry mentioned, and along with the seals, Great White sharks have shown up. We have seen the seals from our boat while anchored at Cape Cod. Here on Maui, I have seen Monk seals along the North Shore, and, unfortunately, they are endangered.

Aug 12, 2020
Lancer 36 Pago Pago
Saw a couple of my boat's namesakes today while sailing around the harbor and just outside today; had a couple of squally showers, but otherwise was a nice sailing day.....we actually made it out of the harbor after numerous tacks! Boat handled well and nothing broke....another good day sail.