H41DS Refrigerator/Freezer Replacement

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
This years project is to replace the refrigerator and freezer on our 2006 H41DS. The ones we have now are the original Nova-Kool units and I was wondering if anyone has replaced them with more efficient units? Looking for suggestions from anyone who has done this and pictures of the new installation if you have any. Thanks

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
I improved ventilation on the backside of fridge and freezer to improve efficiency. My Nova Kool units are from 2004. The compressor run time has gone down dramatically.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
This years project is to replace the refrigerator and freezer on our 2006 H41DS. The ones we have now are the original Nova-Kool units and I was wondering if anyone has replaced them with more efficient units? Looking for suggestions from anyone who has done this and pictures of the new installation if you have any. Thanks
What makes you think they are inefficient? I have the same units and I don't notice any great battery depletion. We run them with the freezer at 10 F and the fridge at 40 F. During the summer we wake up around 0700 and the batts are around 12.6 (calibrated) after running the generator for 75 minutes after dinner. Of course they are 12 years old. I have a freezer at my home that I have owned since 1973. Runs fine. :)

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
What makes you think they are inefficient? I have the same units and I don't notice any great battery depletion. We run them with the freezer at 10 F and the fridge at 40 F. During the summer we wake up around 0700 and the batts are around 12.6 (calibrated) after running the generator for 75 minutes after dinner. Of course they are 12 years old. I have a freezer at my home that I have owned since 1973. Runs fine. :)
Well the frig is rated at 4 amps and the new ones run about 2 amps. That's a 100% improvement right there. Plus they really are not insulated very well. I "improved" the outside insulation but the doors show frost.
The freezer is about the same rating but again the insulation is poor and running them when the temperature, and humidity, outside are high takes power that i would like to save.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
I improved ventilation on the backside of fridge and freezer to improve efficiency. My Nova Kool units are from 2004. The compressor run time has gone down dramatically.
Sen, how did you "improve" the ventilation?

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
12 volt computer fan hooked up to fan electrical connections on back of freezer. I used foil tape to close off some of the openings in that cabinets to create a colder larger stream of air over the condenser tubing. I have the fan mounted high up inside the sink cabinet with air flow vented into sink cabinet.

Nodak, I am with you about the poor insulation and performance of the nova kool freezer. I have been unable to find a drop in replacement. The extra fan does make a difference. Short of chopping up the interior, there really is no good freezer solution that I have found.

My challenge is every summer when we fill the boat with adult kids and +1,s we run out of soda and beer space. I would really like to have a back up fridge just for drinks......yes I understand the power needs.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@ice breaker our backup fridge is a Yeti cooler which is where we keep soft drinks and beer, a block of ice in that cooler is good for at least 4 days with the lid constantly being opened and closed. I would really like to insulate the area under the cabin sole in front of the fridge, is a real good storage area.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Sen, how did you "improve" the ventilation?
I cut a hole in the area so air at the back of the fridge could get out. I then replaced the installed 12V noisy ventilator with a silent computer fan and placed it in the cutout, sucking hot air from the inside. For the fridge the cutout is on the left side of the fridge, for the freezer it is the left side also, blowing in the space behind the galley. Initially I tried to cut a hole to the space below the microwave for the freezer, but cutting a big hole in this area was to time consuming, double thick wood plus the countertop material was to much. If you want I will look up some pictures in my archive.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Nodak7 have you take out the old one? there is space for a new model that you can pull out all the fridge ?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Nodak7 have you take out the old one? there is space for a new model that you can pull out all the fridge ?
I have removed them and added a bit more insulation around the outside of them. But other than that they are still installed. I like the ventilation idea and may try that. They are such power hogs though I would love to change them out for something more efficient (and bigger). The replacement Nova-Cools are the same size but the freezer is the same amps and the refrigerator is half the amps. Unfortunatelly they are basically the same inside dimensions. I would love to find something designed better and more efficient. Unfortunately the area does not lend itself well to modification and I really do not want to mess with the countertop.

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
My Passage 42 had both refrigerator and freezer. Removed both units and replaced with a, more efficient than either, single unit. Also rebuilt the boxes to allow the air to flow from the freezer side into the refer side. The temperature adjustment is on the refrigerator side and is opposite the side common w/ the freezer. Ended up w/ a lot more space on the refrigerator side as well.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
@ice breaker our backup fridge is a Yeti cooler which is where we keep soft drinks and beer, a block of ice in that cooler is good for at least 4 days with the lid constantly being opened and closed. I would really like to insulate the area under the cabin sole in front of the fridge, is a real good storage area.
Don't go nuts with any foam down there, there are wires and things that run up to the lazarette running under that floor space.