H38 - How to prevent anchor chain piling up and jamming windlass

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have same problem with chain jamming up on my 07 H-36 and with wife at helm I have her motor slowly forward toward anchor direction the only thing that works is helping the chain with my hand from jamming
up and just with throw cushion and kneeling on it I been doing this way for years and the chain pulling forward no chance of getting hand in windlass and yes do use cheap $25 remote but it works with up and down buttons at locker just always be careful.

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
I have seen a suggestion of putting a small traffic cone in the anchor locker. I haven't tried this but it is possible that it might help.

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
We have the same concern on our H380, except with the rope (100' chain, 250' rope). We just use a boat hook and push it down every 15-20 feet.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I've been single handing a couple of months now, and while I'd prefer to be at the helm, most of the time its not that big a deal to be up at the bow retrieving the anchor chain and managing this issue by hand. Every 15' or so I grab a handful of chain and relocate it in the locker.

However yesterday I was anchored behind Tavanier and it was blowing over 20kts as I was retrieving the anchor, and 3' seas. I had run jack lines, was tethered in, and it was quite an issue. Too much wind to just use the weight of the chain to pull the boat forward, which meant I had to run the engine with the boat in gear at abound 1,200 rpm to avoid towing the boat with the windlass.

On top of that, immediately the anchor was free I started moving downwind rapidly, with other boats behind me.

I may try and design some sort of insert that forces the chain to lay one side or another. I need to find a solution to this.

Was a heck of a ride from Tavanier up to Angelfish Creek in 3-5' seas and 20kts gusty! Today I could barely keep the spinnaker full lol

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've been single handing a couple of months now, and while I'd prefer to be at the helm, most of the time its not that big a deal to be up at the bow retrieving the anchor chain and managing this issue by hand. Every 15' or so I grab a handful of chain and relocate it in the locker.

However yesterday I was anchored behind Tavanier and it was blowing over 20kts as I was retrieving the anchor, and 3' seas. I had run jack lines, was tethered in, and it was quite an issue. Too much wind to just use the weight of the chain to pull the boat forward, which meant I had to run the engine with the boat in gear at abound 1,200 rpm to avoid towing the boat with the windlass.

On top of that, immediately the anchor was free I started moving downwind rapidly, with other boats behind me.

I may try and design some sort of insert that forces the chain to lay one side or another. I need to find a solution to this.

Was a heck of a ride from Tavanier up to Angelfish Creek in 3-5' seas and 20kts gusty! Today I could barely keep the spinnaker full lol
If I was in your situation, I would haul up as much rode as possible without engaging the engine. When the wind resistance could not be over come by chain weight I would engage the autopilot and run the engine at the lowest rpm that would take pressure off the anchor. Once the anchor was off the bottom and close to the surface, I would return to the helm, leaving the anchor in the water and slowly maneuver to a safe place to finish retrieving the anchor.

We were in a similar situation in the Wisteria Island anchorage off Key West. It was necessary to sail off the anchor as the transmission was disabled. The mainsail was hoisted and the anchor pulled up close to the surface. Once we were sailing and had control of the boat the anchor was retrieved and stowed.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Hand feed forward the chain as it comes out from Windlass. That's how I prevent the chain bunching up and jam the Windlass.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Well, if you want to spend some money, SS anchor chain is more slippery and will likely flake down in the chain locker without bunching up. But the probable solution is to redesign the chain locker so that it is deeper or so that the chain falls into the deeper parts. Steve Goodwin (S/V Panope) is the anchor guru and he has a video specifically about anchor chain piling up in the chain locker.

Jun 18, 2013
Hunter 44DS East Greenwich, RI
Same issue with my 2004 H44ds. I have 300 ft of 3/8” chain. I use small boat hook to dress the chain, 6 ft at the time as I bring the anchor up.