H38 Companionway steps hinge screw holes stripped out on stair side

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
The brass inserts should definitely stay put in wood that’s solid. It sounds as though someone has already compromised the wood structure itself. If you post a photo, I’ll comment further.
Good luck

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I’m going to go out on a limb that either the material they were inserted in was thinner than the depth of the insert or the hole was drilled to big.

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
made repair #2 yesterday. Went with through bolts. The repair was no harder than doing the inserts and IMHO is a much better repair. At least in my situation the starboard hinge is more problematic. The inserts on the port side were still in tact but the uppers on the starboard were pulling out.

It is plywood that the screws or inserts go into. Obviously the stress on the hinges is substantial. Having done it 2x now I can't see spending the time and effort to do inserts when the through bolts are no harder and I'm pretty sure will perform better. Time will tell.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Conidering what you have had to do, is there a ability to use a backing plate in the backside to give it more strength?

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
somewhat. You would end up using 2 backing plates, an upper and lower. you can see the lower screws on the backside but not the upper. There is another piece of wood that just covers the upper screws. I took a large flat blade drill bit ( I'm sure it has a name but I don't know what they're called ) and drilled out a section of that other piece of wood to access the screw holes. That other piece of wood just covers the holes right on the edge of the wood. Too close to the edge to provide extra support I thought. I ended up with just enough room to get washers in there. You would have to hog it our much more to get a backing plate in there. Another option would be to add another piece of wood to match the upper piece. Then, as long as you have room to drill longer holes, you could use one plate. More work than I felt was needed.

You're limited as to bolt size because the head needs to be recessed in the hinge. 10x24 is what I used. I believe The plywood is thick enough on its own to support the hinges if through bolted even with just washers. Obviously a backing plate would provide more support and it could be done. Time will tell but I think I'll be ok.