H38 Companionway steps hinge screw holes stripped out on stair side

Feb 1, 2004
Hunter 38 BYC, Middle River
Has anyone had this issue? This has caused the steps to pull away at the top where the hinges are screwed into the steps which make the latch at the bottom of the steps very difficult to open and close. Any suggestions for a fix.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I don't know your boat but...
Can you drill out the stripped screw holes, fill with thickened epoxy,
re-drill pilot holes appropriate for the original screw size and location of attachment point,
then remount steps?.
If so, Google "Filling holes with thickened epoxy".

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Yup had that issue when the boat was new. Was told about it by friends who had same boat but a year earlier.

the fix was to replace the screws with through bolts. You can get to the back side to put the nits on the bolts bu going up through the engine compartment. It’s not terribly easy and requires a little body contortion activity but then what repair on a boat can be done without contortion and sacrificing at least one knuckle.
Our marina owner often says it’s not a real boat project unless there is blood drawn.

oh if the boat wasn’t put away for the winter I’d get pictures for you but alas it’s covered and secure

Feb 1, 2004
Hunter 38 BYC, Middle River
Sounds like your repair was on the engine side of the hinge. These holes are striped out on the step side of the hinge.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Drill the holes, glue in (with titebond III or comparable water resistant wood glue) a comparable diameter length of wood dowel. Let dry and trim off. You want something that will flex and grab onto the threads pid the screw. Real simple and repeatable in the future.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
You can adjust the latch on the inside, should hold the steps, but not to tight.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Sounds like your repair was on the engine side of the hinge. These holes are striped out on the step side of the hinge.
I can’t recall exactly as it’s been a number of years (10) since I did it but I’m thinking I put bolts on the step side too. Wish boat wasn’t covered so I could confirm for you

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I can’t recall exactly as it’s been a number of years (10) since I did it but I’m thinking I put bolts on the step side too. Wish boat wasn’t covered so I could confirm for you
Better Idea

I have a solution which both repairs the stripped out holes, and gives you an upgraded fix.
Machine screws are always better than wood screws when you need to remove something more than once.
What you want to buy are wood brass threaded inserts. These are dead easy to install. You just drill the recommended hole size, screw them in, and they give you permanent machine screw threads.
So, here is what you want to do:
Measure the hole size in the hinge, and see what size machine screw easilly fits in.
It’s either going to be a #10, or 1/4-20.
If you go with #10, use 10-24 insets, not 10-32. The latter are too fine a thread for the applicstion
You can get these inserts at any industrial supply place. Do not use steel inserts! Only brass or stainless.
They thread in either with a hex key, or slotted driver.
You will love this solution, as taking the bolts out couldn’t be easier.
I use threaded inserts in many places on my 49. The most useful one was holding the chart table seat to the floor. I’ve had this chair out so many times, I’ve lost count.

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
The hinges on my 38 are falling off too. I'll be looking at it in a week or so and pondering the fix. So far I like the through bolted suggestion as it sounds stout. But the insert fix sounds interesting too. Likely they used too small a screw for the job or the wood is not up to the task. IE too thin or too soft. I'm shocked that a boat manufacturer skimped on something.

Has anyone put longer support stays on the steps to hold them up higher ? Not even sure if its possible but mine are shot and I'm going to look into it.

Just completed the sale and when I get home from being out of town I've got a long list of things to look at but with the cold setting in I'm hoping for a few warm days to get more than the winterizing done.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
The hinges on my 38 are falling off too. I'll be looking at it in a week or so and pondering the fix. So far I like the through bolted suggestion as it sounds stout. But the insert fix sounds interesting too. Likely they used too small a screw for the job or the wood is not up to the task. IE too thin or too soft. I'm shocked that a boat manufacturer skimped on something.

Has anyone put longer support stays on the steps to hold them up higher ? Not even sure if its possible but mine are shot and I'm going to look into it.

Just completed the sale and when I get home from being out of town I've got a long list of things to look at but with the cold setting in I'm hoping for a few warm days to get more than the winterizing done.
Dont be shocked. Every boat is a compilation of compromises. And this is one that Hunter should not have made. Screws into particle board for a weight bearing application like this is a bad idea. The particle board just does not have the screw holding strength to support the weight of the stairs when in up position. I have had no issues since I went with bolts. I do always make sure to raise and lower The stairs carefully. Letting them slam upward puts a lot of stress on the screws.

I like your idea of getting the stairs to open higher but I don’t think that it will work. As the stairs go up the top step is limited by the opening compartment above it. I think it will hit. That and the longer gas struts you will need may not fit.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
Hmm, yeah, I haven't taken a good look at it yet. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. I though the wood might be particle board but didn't want to speculate. I was hoping they weren't that cheap. Now I see why you went with through bolts.

• Helpful
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
There are a few youtube videos in Sail Life that use Forsner bits to drill out the hole quite large and then refill them. Makes the hole stronger and water tight.

• Helpful
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
There are a few youtube videos in Sail Life that use Forsner bits to drill out the hole quite large and then refill them. Makes the hole stronger and water tight.
Please look at my response re: using threaded inserts.
It’s truly the easiest solution

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
Artboas, I'm not exactly sure the type of insert you are referring to. would you be able to send me picture of one or a link to them ? After taking a quick look at it the other day I can see the appeal of this solution.

Have you used them on this application and into particle board ? there appears to be a fair amount of side stress on these screws (hence the failures).

At least the steps aren't falling off yet and I can procrastinate till they rip off the hinges and fall on my head while I'm checking the oil some day. : ) Might be best not to lift the steps up anymore. I'm sure the oil is fine. Problem solved.

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
Update. I ended up using the insert method for my repair last fall. It lasted about 2 months. That would translate to lifting the steps about 10-15 times before the inserts pulled out of the wood. I was afraid this might happen but it was the easiest repair and looked solid when first done. My issue is on the step side of the hinge. I can access the backside of the lower hinge holes so I'll through bolt those. I cannot feel where the upper holes are on the inside and those are the ones that take most of the strain. I'll be taking a better look next time I'm at the boat.

It appears there were prior repairs made to the steps and the wood that the hinges screw into may have been replaced with a soft wood.
As we know, Once the hinges start the loosen it gets difficult to open the latch at the base of the steps. It appears that a simple adjustment of the latch will take care of it but it doesn't. I tried to add another hole in the hinge but that stainless is tough and the bits I had weren't up to the task.

I'll let you know that happens.