H37c Rig tension

Jul 28, 2013
Hunter 34 Holland, Mi
Hello Everyone,
I looked through all the threads and didn't find anyone talking about the proper tension for the shrouds, I just purchased this boat, and the current yard needs to loosen either the forestay or the backstay to launch the boat. All the shrouds are currently not tensioned correctly. I have a 550-mile sail home in the spring and want everything set up properly and pinned before leaving the dock. Does anyone have a good set of numbers for me?
Thank you in advance.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Usually the forestay is set to provide the desired mast rake and then left alone after that. Fore and aft tension adjustments are performed with the back stay. Books are written on this subject. In your case, I would tension the backstay and the shrouds to get launched and then re-visit the issue in detail after launch.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Rig tension is a fraction of the wire safe working load. Somewhere in the vicinity of 15 to 20 percent. So, measure the diameter of all standing rig wires and look up their SWL. Multiply that by 0.20 and that’s your wire tension.
Tuning your rig is a technique of setting the mast rake, centering your mast and removing any untoward bend in the mast. You may wish to have some prebend in the mast if your sail is cut for that. You can measure how much luff curve there is by laying it out with some tension on the luff and measuring the depth of the greatest curvature. The prebend should be about the same,

• Helpful