H37c icebox confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete Vente

OK, I'm confused now. I've always assumed (I know, I know) that my icebox-converted-to-freezer that sits in the starboard lazarette of my 1982 h37c was an add-on by one of the previous owners. IMHO it takes up WAY too much space and restricts access to the batteries and engine space. It sits glassed in on the hull and comes all the way up to the top of the lazarette, and it seems that only the top half would ever be used for storing food. After reading through some posts, I'm getting the feeling that this may be standard after all. Is it ? And if it is standard, it seems that only the top half of the 'structure' is actually used, so what is underneath it ? My plan is to rip the whole thing out and use it for more storage, but that only leaves me with a smallish icebox (~1.5 cubic ft). Any answers and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pete S/V Calm Seas

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Wouldn't do that.....

if you ever plan on selling the boat! 1.5 cu ft cooler is not big enough for a good supply of beer for a day sail.

C

Connie Runge (Jim's other half)

37C Refrigerator

Pete: Your description sounds like our '81. My problem is accessibility. Its a pain having to go into the cockpit to get some in/put of the freezer box, and I end up contorting in order to reach all areas of the inside for cleaning. As you said, there isn't much room in it, either. We're in the process of deciding whether or not to increase our cold storage by installing an AC/DC Refrigerator under the nav. table. I'll be doing some homework on it this weekend. I'll let you know.

E

Ed Schenck

H37C Icebox

Not sure what you are describing Pete. The few that I have seen are all alike. I tried to post a picture of mine in the Photo Forum but was unsuccessful so I'll send it in an e-mail. The original had a hatch in the starboard locker but was also accessible from inside(with long arms). That hatch is more than twelve inches below the seat level. On one that I saw the compressor for the add-on refer was sitting on top of that hatch(which had been sealed and insulated). My compressor is all the way in the back, starboard side under the coaming. So I think someone has modified yours. If so then under that add-on freezer is the original icebox.

J

Jerry

Below the Hatch be at least 12 inches

Pete the top of the ice box on my '80 H37C is at least 12 inched below the hatch cover. I have the compressor setting on the freezer under the combing and have had an insulated top made to replace the original. I made the entire ice box a freezer and turned the kerosine locker into a refrigerator. Jerry s/v Makai

E

Ed Schenck

Jerry, more details please.

How did you turn the kerosene locker into a refrig? Where, exactly, is your compressor mounted, on top of the icebox but all the way to starboard? What model and make of refrigeration? What about new insulation? Thanks, still trying to understand the best refer upgrade for my 1979 H37C.

R

Ron

Same as Ed

Mine is exactly as Ed discribes it.. 1983 H37C........Ron

R

Rick Harvey

Install a Norcold !!

I removed the double sink and fitted a Norcold and a new top. A new sink was fitted on the oppposite side. This not only gave us a fridge /freezer but also a great counter top for food/cocktails etc...

E

Ed Schenck

But Rick, why?

Why did you NOT install the Norcold on the original icebox side? Did you install the sink where the drawers were, next to the companionway? Where do you get a Norcold? What about the original icebox? So many questions, so little time.

R

Rick Harvey

Life with Norcold!

The sink was installed on the opposite side where the drawers are located. The top drawer is fixed but the remaining are not effected. The Norcold was purchased from a RV dealer and runs on gas, 12v or 110v. The big double sinks are fine for laundry, but not practicle for the average sailer. I prefer the extra counter space (bar).

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Rick, have it both ways...

Make (or have someone make) a nice cutting board that fits over one or both of the sinks. Not only will you regain the counter space lost due to the sinks without losing them when you really do need them, but you'll have a nice big cutting board you won't have to figure out where to store.

R

Rick Harvey

Big sink , Big cold ?

The Norcold works all the time. The big sinks are a bonus. The 37C has no other space available. Having a sail boat should not limit you to a ice box. The second sink becomes a storage/trash container while on long trips. Ice cold beverages and well kept deli and salads are more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.