H37C fuel tank revisited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Schenck

First, a question. I used a shopvac on the fuel vent and sucked up quite a bit of diesel fuel(from a bone dry tank). Should there be a low spot in the vent hose that can trap fuel? Finished capping my two six-inch cleanout ports in the diesel tank yesterday. When I bailed and soaked up the last pint or two of diesel fuel I did find some goop. It wasn't real bad but I am glad I got it out of there. The pickup tube comes down that inside seam to within 1/2" of the forward end of the tank. It would take at least two gallons of fuel before the gauge float would move to the 'E' mark. If you were to cut a cleanout you should only need the one near the gauge, on the forward side of the big baffle. Everything will run down to that forward/inside corner at the pickup tube. Center a six-inch hole at the location noted in my previous post. I made an eight-inch plate out of 1/8" aluminum and drilled twelve 5/16" holes. Used that as a pattern for 1/8" gaskets. Also used to lay out the 1/4" holes which I drilled and tapped. Hardest part is getting the tank spotless of drillings, filings, and thread cuttings. Then non-hardening Permatex with the new gaskets. Well at least I now know the tank is not a problem. And probably never was.

S

Steve O.

fuel vent line

I noticed a loop in my vent line, and my guess is that it's there to collect water that may come in through the thru-hull fitting. If the tank gets over filled, then fuel can collect there.

W

Walt G.

Low Spots

Hi Ed, Both the fuel feed line and vent line on my 37c had low spots. Both captured fuel, as your vent line did, and as a result venting was done during fill-up, which took forever because of the foaming that took place. When I replaced the fuel fill hose that was beginning to crack, I rerouted in in a continuous downward slope to the tank, getting it out of the bilge. I did the same with the vent line, so no fuel can accumulate in the low spots. Filling the tank takes no time now, as the tank vents properly.

E

Ed Schenck

Thanks Walt.

That would explain the first time I went to the fuel dock and it took all of one gallon! The kid was upset that he had to drag the hose all the way back there. I'll fix that on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.