H37C fuel tank examined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Schenck

Well I finally got up the nerve and did it. Cut TWO six inch holes in the top of the diesel fuel tank on my 1979 H37C. After being towed with a fuel problem last season I just had to know what was in there. And guess what, there is NO screen on the pickup tube. That tube comes in the side of the tank, near the middle, goes down to the bottom and then runs along the seam all the way to the forward, inside corner. As you can imagine from the shape of the hull that is the lowest and deepest part of the tank. Except for a very light, black powdery substance the tank was clean. A swipe with a rag took the black stuff right off. The tank is very solid, at least 5/32” and maybe 3/16”. Used a good metal blade in a sabre saw and worked slowly. I cut the first hole 34” from the forward edge and 9” from the inside edge. I wanted to be close to where the pickup came through so that I could see how that was done. I knew there was a baffle but did not know where. That section of the tank is kind of shallow and I can reach most of the bottom and sides up to the baffle. Because of the baffle I could not see the end of the pickup tube so knew I had to cut another hole. The baffle is 18” from the forward edge, it’s at the point where the tank has an inward offset of about three inches. So I cut a second 6” hole, just about four inches from the fuel gauge. Now I can clean the entire tank although it really looked good. There was still about a quart of diesel in there after I pumped her out last Fall. But no detectable water. So the question, why did it starve for fuel and require a tow? Why did pumping air back through the line to the tank clear up the problem? Maybe the pressure cleared the vent? Now I have to go and make two covers. Tom, your guy was probably right. No reason to get in there.

H

Henry Weber

fuel starvation

Make sure that you are not getting air into the suction side of the fuel system. My Yanmar has stopped several times now due to the above. I think that I finally solved the problem. There was a faulty seal at the O-ring sealed top of the Racor primary filter. Hope this helps someone. Henry

R

Ron

Me Too

Ed... Had the same problem 4 years ago. I went through the entire fuel system (and checkbook) only to find out I had a small (hairline) crack in the fitting that goes into the tank. The engine quit dead in a very bad place and we had to sail into our slip.... Ron/KA5HZV

D

Dan Sheehan AMS

vent hose

The vent hose on some of the 37Cs is run down from the tank and then up to the vent on the transom. This causes diesel fuel to sit trapped in the line and blocks the free flow of air into the tank. It is not difficult to reroute the line so that there are no dips to trap fuel. This will also improve the speed at which you can refuel besides helping the starvation problem. Dan Sheehan

E

Ed Schenck

Thanks guys.

I'll certainly check on those suggestions. For sure something is amiss. I also called another H37C contributor, Mike Alge. He said the rubber hose from the tank to the Racor could be collapsing. So I will replace that also. When your slip is a mile down a narrow river with current and wind you depend on that Yanmar!

Status
Not open for further replies.