H37C Accommodation Layout Change, too much?

Sep 27, 2017
O'Day Javelin Garage
Skip ahead to the TL:DR to get to the meat of this...
6 months ago my wife asked what I thought about getting a small vacation home in Florida and I replied that I hate everything about Florida that isn't Disney World and the Ocean. It's true. I like the ocean but hate the beach, go figure. But I've always loved sailing. I had small boats when I was younger and grew up crewing on a Mackinac Island race every summer. Back when I was single, I even lived aboard a Mac 26' for a year in Texas and I always talked up how cool that was. So on a lark I suggest we look at a largish sailboat we can keep in Florida. We are able to vacation about 6 months of the year (not the whole 6 months, like 8 weeks spread out across it) so I suggested we get a big-ish boat and keep it on the hard half the year and pay dockage the other half and have it down there for us to live on for a couple weeks at a time. It would be my wife and I and our two kids (11 and 13).

The tricky part has been determining just how big a boat we need. We rented a few marina boats in various sizes and it seemed like something the size of a Hunter 35 Legend fit us well enough as we wouldn't be staying aboard for more than a couple weeks at a time and as a family we don't really take up much room even in our current home. At the same time, most people and groups I polled on this very strongly advised going much bigger. But a boat has dropped in our lap that makes me consider splitting the difference...

TL:DR
We've found a 1984 Hunter 37' cutter through some family friends that we think will make a good 'vacation aboard'. It was completely refit in 2010. Since then it has been kept in indoor climate controlled storage. The current owner came to own the boat when her daughter died (rather horribly). We had a survey conducted (minus the shakedown sail till we can have it put in the water) and the asking price is about $25k less than its probable valuation (again, pending the test sail). I don't think we can pass it up. But...

I kind of want to change the interior layout around a bit. Maybe a lot. It presently has the standard double bed port quarter berth and a cabin in the forepeak. Galley in the aft of the saloon, Port and Starboard seating around the table in the middle. What I want to do is lose the port settee altogether and move the galley into that spot. Then I would like to open up a quarter berth on the starboard side. I post a floorplan to show an approximation of this. I'm just curious if this has been done before or is there something in that quarter that would prevent a berth? Could it be shifted somewhere else?

I know... I'm asking a lot here. I'm a tinker by nature so normally I would just dive in and figure this stuff out as I go but whether this project is a non starter will have an influence on our immediate plans and there just isn't a way for me to figure this out on my own in a short amount of time. Good news or bad I do appreciate whatever input you guys can give.

hunter37_floor_refit.png

*- Just to note, my little diagram is only intended to be a conceptualization. Like it shows the new quarter berth as a mirror image of the port QB, but if it makes it work, I'll be happy with a single berth in that spot.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Even if you could do the re-arranging physically, you need to also think about mechanical and electrical.

Moving the galley sink to the other side: most water pumps are under the galley sink - power and hoses; sink drains go to thru hulls - new thru hull, no way to reach across the width of the boat to reach the existing thru hull(s); fridge - refrigerant lines come from the compressor, usually difficult to extend

IMHO the existing layout makes most sense for sailing. While you're not gonna be cooking while daysailing, having the galley where it is makes a lot of sense. Most all yacht design books cover this. The "Euro Gallery" along one side? Not so much. It also takes exactly the same amount of space down below but makes it look and feel much smaller (for example, the Catalina 42 had these two options and I've been on both of them). Some people like them, I don't, just so you know where I'm coming from.

Other issues: even if you are a master carpenter, unless you know how to work with fiberglass, this may not go well. You need to find out what part of the supports are glass, most likely all of them are. While not necessarily structural as far as hull integrity is concerned, they are supports, so taking some out may affect other things. Look at the cut to the inboard galley counter support, for instance.

You would lose half the seating in the saloon. I would rather lose my left you know what than do that. You can't always live in the cockpit, unless it has a full enclosure.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
More possible issues: Starboard aft is a big lazarette, and you need the storage you can access from the cockpit. The fuel tank is probably there, too with it’s multiple connections to the engine, and deck filling access.

An idea: you could take out the storage outboard of the bench seat on one side of the main cabin. An upholstered board can easily be fitted as a removable backrest. This is the standard setup on our Cherubini 27, works very well. The resulting double bunk is at least as big as the quarter berth.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
After sailing thousands of miles in a 'stock' H37C over the past 16 years, including annual family cruises of two to three weeks 'liveaboard' duration, I have to say its hard to improve on the original layout designed by John Cherubini and sons. However, I have to confess that we picked the boat, over several other designs, because of its layout - so yes, we are biased! The biggest change since the kids grew up and moved on is that my wife and I now use forepeak V-berth rather than the double pull-out berth to starboard in the saloon. The aft cabin quarter berth is a very small double - we always called it the 'newlyweds cabin'. If you modify the interior as you suggest, you will lose a lot of valuable high-volume storage when the you eliminate the starboard cockpit locker, in order to gain another marginal double quarter berth. And by moving the galley to port, you lose a very nice nav desk / office. But only you know what you want; to each his own. But be aware that a lot of the the molded-in fiberglass pan that forms part of the icebox, galley, settees, and so forth is structural; you may want to consult a naval architect or someone knowledgeable before large-scale removal of the interior. My opinion is worth everything you paid for it...and more...at least $0.02

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Besides containing the fuel tank, and a lot of the mechanical/electrical systems, the starboard lazarette is also where the hot water heater is, and it needs to remaine near the engine for the engine coolant heat exchanger to function well.

Jun 8, 2004
Besides containing the fuel tank, and a lot of the mechanical/electrical systems, the starboard lazarette is also where the hot water heater is, and it needs to remaine near the engine for the engine coolant heat exchanger to function well.
Not on a Hunter 37 Cutter! ;)

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Sounds like a lot of work, fiberglass work is a different animal. Spend your time sailing not working and shop around for the boat that suits your needs more directly, there are lots of bargains out there.
I agree with the comments about the galley layout, the U-shaped design is easier to use, especially in a seaway. If you have to have 3 double berths there are more modern designs in the same size range that have them. You lose storage that you might otherwise want down the road.

Nov 8, 2007
Forgot about the pull-out double to starboard! I’m with Legere - the standard layout gives you what you want.

His point about the kitchen is also a good one.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
A general rule of thumb I like to follow is to live with a particular boat/layout for at least a year before I decide on any kind of major redesign. It always seems that I am not able to really understand the boat, the structural elements and how I like/dislike existing layout and what needs to be done to fix it, in less time than that. I also try to look at the same basic boat with different layouts to see what compromises each different design presents - if possible - if not the same boat, then similar boats. It would be my recommendation that you either find a different boat if the current boat layout you really don't like, or pick this boat up; use it as is for at least a year, then decide to either redesign the interior or sell it and buy the interior design you prefer.

dj

Sep 27, 2017
O'Day Javelin Garage
Good information and I'm sure the advice is sound. It would be nice to come to a decision before the boat hits the water, but I think we'll end up living with it until we get the boat to her home port in a couple of months anyway. Maybe we'll be happy with her the way she is. I'm not hopeful though.

"having the galley where it is makes a lot of sense. [...] The "Euro Gallery" along one side? Not so much. It also takes exactly the same amount of space down below but makes it look and feel much smaller"​

This design philosophy is by far the most common, and there must be a reason so many prefer it. We've stayed in a variety of boats over the last couple of months and American style "cozy kitchen" galleys just felt awful to me. It takes something one or two people spend an hour or so a day doing and sections off 20% of the boat's space to do it in. Meanwhile, if you have more than a single guest staying with you, they have to sleep in the dining room.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that both my wife and I have jobs we must often telecommute to even when on vacation. Her clients and home office are in Europe and mine are in Asia. Without a separate cabin, even a tiny one, for every berth the light and activity of getting our jobs done at all hours of the night would present an unfair disruption to the rest of sleeping family.

The less drastic alternative is to split the V-berth into two separate cabins for the kids and wife and I squeeze into the "newlywed berth". Or maybe wall off the port settee as a 3rd cabin using a removable fore and aft bulkhead. That plan has the advantage of giving us a spot to hang the TV that faces the seating.

Or maybe we'll learn to love her for what she is. She's really just too good a deal to pass on even if a more perfect floor plan is right around the corner. The boat's got less than 20 hours on a brand new 70HP Yanmar engine and transmission. The 40HP engine and the transmission that were pulled out have been completely rebuilt and are included. All the electronics are new (circa 2010). New RO watermaker. New plumbing. Completely new rigging with rod-stays. Two different radar systems (not sure why two, but there's two). New stainless anchor chain. I can't think of a single thing one might normally add to a boat this size that is not already on her.

Maybe she's good enough the way she is. Someone seemed to love her.

Nov 8, 2007
To me, telecommuting means three activities:
- Working on a laptop to prepare work product or communicate with email/text/documents.
- Participating in internet meetings including 2-way voice.
- Making and receiving phone calls.
Your nav station could be modified to be a comfortable workstation for the first activity. A blackout curtain would allow others in the main cabin to sleep while this area is being used.
During the day, you could do the last two sitting on a bunk in the V-berth with the door closed. You could also do them at the dining room table or at the nav station with some respect from the others on board. If parent(s) are working below (at anchor, or the dock) there is lots of room on deck, in the cockpit, or in other spaces below for others to do their thing. Finally, we have chartered and sailed our boat with crews of 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Neither the Admiral, nor I nor any of our other crew have had difficulty sleeping in the main cabin. Comfort of the bedding is the main issue, and is easy to solve. On a 4 day Charter in the Apostle Islands this summer with my daughter, her husband, two grandkids of 8 & 11, the Admiral, and me on a Catalina 36, we had no issues. Her husband was telecommuting, and there always seemed to be a place he could work if needed while we were at anchor or even under way.

I think you will work it out on the 37c. Sounds like a great boat by the way!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Look at a 356 2 can sleep in vee berth and 2 adults in rear bed and table is still available for sleeping or not and had 4 adults do 10 days sailing from NY to Fl. and lots of storage and large cocpit more storage.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It takes something one or two people spend an hour or so a day doing and sections off 20% of the boat's space to do it in.
So you are suggesting that this activity be redesigned to take up not just a teeny corner of the floor plan, but along an entire side and eliminate good seating? I'm failing to see the logic and/or your explanations, sorry.
The 40HP engine and the transmission that were pulled out have been completely rebuilt and are included.
How does this help? You're not going to keep it ON the boat, are you?
New stainless anchor chain.
You should do some serious research on this. Not a good choice of materials for anchor chain (or anchors either).

Last edited:

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Honestly the 37c is a great boat, but you'd be better off getting a different boat that more closely ticks the boxes of what you are looking for.

Jun 8, 2004
Alctel has nailed it. The H37C was designed and built in a time when people were looking for comfortable long-distance cruising monohull boats - the galley is designed to be safe and workable in a seaway; that small quarter berth is a good sea berth; lots of handholds; the nav station has a desk big enough for a half-folded paper chart...and it sails really well in the big stuff.

Today, a 37 foot boat is too small for the modern 'marina' lifestyle. A lot of people want a bigger galley, more cabins, more heads, bigger engine...if that's your requirement, seek out one of the bigger Beneteaus or Jenneaus designed for the charter trade, with three double cabins, two heads, yadda, yadda. You will be happier with one of these that a 70's design that you try and adapt. Maybe look at catamarans too.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If its a great deal buy it, but only after doing some serious comparisons. Sail it for a year or so sell it off for more than you purchased it (after all its that good a deal). While using the H37c you will be exposed to many other styles and length's as well as the marina life will easily allow you to talk to owners of various models which will open up your thought process. So without doing any mods to the H37 sail her, learn and then move on if you still have the desire to do so.
When someone asks me how many does she sleep, I always answer 2, just like it better that way.

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
As the senior H37 owner, I may have insight. First of all having lived with the same boat for almost 40 years and at the same time watching myself turn from a strapping young man into an old fart, I have seen many H37 modifications. Some brilliant, some nightmarish.
I just removed my galley and re-installed it with a different configuration. I moved the icebox from it's location in the corner and installed a fully self contained top loading refrig/freezer in the space where the drawers were. It is about thirty inches long and extends into the spare where the icebox was. I took out the stove/oven and gave it to the boy scouts. It is now in their hot dog trailer. I relocated the drawers I lost to where the stove/ oven was, and put a high quality two burner stove top on top of the drawers. In the 39 years I have owned my boat, I used the oven once (total disaster) and have always bitched about not having enough refer space. This sounds simple, but took four months. I see that I am out of room, a first for me. I will continue in vol II.