H37 Cutter Shoal Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Pavesich

We are interested in purchasing at 37 cutter with four foot draft for cruising the Bahamas and Gulf coast. I can't find anything in the archives on the performance of the boat with this keel. I would appreciate any impute from owners of shallow draft 37 cutters on the pluses and minuses of this keel.

A

Art Barnes

Probably not a problem

Although I don't know personally about the shallow draft cutter rig, I am told that they don't point quite as high,(go to weather as well) especially in light wind. My guess is that it won't be a problem. I just bought a 37C deep draft for the Pacific coast where I sail and frankly, I don't think there is all that much difference between them. The wind is ususally blowing fairly good where you want to sail her, so all things being equal, I don't think you will have any problems. Fairwinds, Art

E

Ed Schenck

Sailing one.

My H37C is a shoal draft. But I cannot compare since I have never sailed a deep draft H37C. I know that a J34 couldn't catch me the other day on a beam reach! At least until we turned downwind and he poled out that huge jib. The shoal draft is heavier because the keel is actually larger. Although it is shallower it is quite a bit longer(fore to aft). Many threads here on HOW state that shoal draft boats do not point as well. But I think with the H37C that it has more to do with the sail plan and trim than it does the keel.

Status
Not open for further replies.