h37 cutter rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
Coming back from Mexico we heard a loud bang, and the rudder left the boat. That left us 240 miles to go with no rudder. It took us two days to sail 210 miles. Not a record, but with only two of us on the boat, we thought it was a credible effort. When the wind died we called TowBoat US and they towed us the last thirty miles.Now the boat is back in the yard. Another rudder on order from Foss foam. Not bad, $1800. Hopefully this one will last longer than 31 years. We have sailed the boat very hard, but the rudder looked fine prior to the Mexico race. We think we hit something but are not sure.
Blaise

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
Blaise,

Sorry to hear about the rudder, Reports have it that Jade lost her rudder on the return to also. Must have been pretty bumpy out there.

Congrats on a great race. You guys did a super job getting down.

Ed A

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Congrats on the class win Blaise!! But two rudders gone on the way back?!! What are the odds? http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=714851&highlight=rudder .
How bad were the conditions? The Helsen 470 was abandoned and left for salvage. Ed S is curious too. How did you steer her that many miles? And what was left of the rudder on the boat? Also be interested to know if there is fiberglass damage around the rudder bearing.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I wonder about the value of an emergency rudder, how big it would have to be etc.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
Indeed a most credible effort. Averaging 4.4 knots for 48 hours with no rudder and steering with the sails that is quite good. The other Hunter reported being hit broadside by a 25' wave before theirs snapped. What were the conditions and your boat speed at the time?

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
First, sorry it took me so long to reply. Nothing left of the rudder except a two inch ragged stub. No evidence of corrosion. It was clearly torn off. Sailing back took a couple of hours to refine. The secret to success turned out to have the blade barberhauled to weather. The top half would fill, then as the boat slowly tried to round up the jib would start to luff while the bottom half was back winded. this would turn the boat back. We sailed a eries of lomg

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Well, I don't know how I accidently sent that on finished. As I was saying, we sailed a series of lond arcs for 210 miles. Even with the success, the boat was very weight sensitive. I got up to take a shower and the boat jibed.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Wow, some experience Blaise. How did your crew manage? Just one I think you said. Were you ever close to a point of calling for assistance before the wind died? How long before you see the new rudder and you are back sailing?

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
very interesting solution. thanks for the info.

Great job on getting the old girl home.

Ed

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Foss foam made the rudder in a week. Boat should be back in the water in a couple of weeks.
Blaise

Status
Not open for further replies.