H36 Remove Propane Locker - anyone ever done this?

Oct 22, 2014
Hunter 36 MD
Hi, I am putting davits on my 2004 H36 and it look like I have to remove the propane locker to gain access to bolt in the straps.. I've tried to look up any video's etc.. have not found anything. Has anyone done this? I am looking for some reassurance, encouragement and what lies beneath. Thanks

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I needed to pull out the propane locker when I installed my davits. However I don't know if your propane locker is configured that same as mine. In my case I just cut the sealant around the drop-in locker, removed the couple screws on the perimeter and lifted it out. IIRC, I didn't need to remove it completely. I just needed to move it aside so I could reach the fasteners. Sorry, I have no pictures of the propane locker when it was loosened/partly removed. If you have a picture of your locker it would help - at least I could tell you if it is setup the same as mine.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I did not need to remove propane locker for my 2007 H-36 for my Ocean Davits, but did remove
the locker when converted my winches to electric.
I don’t understand I don’t see not being able to get into locker that is also where holding tank
is located.
Nick

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Would it be more appropriate to cut a access hatch in the side of it then install a cover after? That would give you easy access in the future if needed

Oct 22, 2014
Hunter 36 MD
I needed to pull out the propane locker when I installed my davits. However I don't know if your propane locker is configured that same as mine. In my case I just cut the sealant around the drop-in locker, removed the couple screws on the perimeter and lifted it out. IIRC, I didn't need to remove it completely. I just needed to move it aside so I could reach the fasteners. Sorry, I have no pictures of the propane locker when it was loosened/partly removed. If you have a picture of your locker it would help - at least I could tell you if it is set up the same as mine.
Thanks.. I don't have any pictures of the whole locker ( I can take though). It looks like one could just use a razor and break the seal and lift it out or to one side. The one hesitation I have is it looks like they used some kind of rubbery foam to build up around the perimeter to the inboard side. (what is that stuff?) I have professional-grade silicone caulk remover which I am hesitant to use on that. I talked to an installer and it did not seem to be a concern to them. For them to do it.. 2 guys- 4hrs. $1.3k in labor.

Oct 22, 2014
Hunter 36 MD
Would it be more appropriate to cut a access hatch in the side of it then install a cover after? That would give you easy access in the future if needed
Yeah.. I thought about that.. that would be a last resort.

Oct 22, 2014
Hunter 36 MD
I did not need to remove propane locker for my 2007 H-36 for my Ocean Davits, but did remove
the locker when converted my winches to electric.
I don’t understand I don’t see not being able to get into a locker that is also where holding tank
is located.
Nick
It's a really tight fit... and to reach up to where the attachments need to be you'd need arms about 4' long arms. I have Kato Davitts and that's the design for this particular boat. If I could I would. On the Port side locker.. not a problem at all.