H36 Reefing Advice

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Hunter 36 Bayport Yachting Center
Hi. Would love to get thoughts from others on reefing.

I have the roller furling main and standard 110% jib.

Not sure if its best to sail flat, or heeled, and if so at what angle is optimal. Generally I've been reefing the main 1/3 at about 15 knots, and then main to 1/2 and jib to 1/3 at about 20 knots. I don't seem to really get any sort of lee helm doing this, if anything there's a bit of weather helm. Seems to sail best heeling around 15 degrees.

Would appreciate hearing other's experience.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Hi. Would love to get thoughts from others on reefing.

I have the roller furling main and standard 110% jib.

Not sure if its best to sail flat, or heeled, and if so at what angle is optimal. Generally I've been reefing the main 1/3 at about 15 knots, and then main to 1/2 and jib to 1/3 at about 20 knots. I don't seem to really get any sort of lee helm doing this, if anything there's a bit of weather helm. Seems to sail best heeling around 15 degrees.

Would appreciate hearing other's experience.
I think you've got it figured out. I've got a 130 roller furling genoa, and roller furling main on my 2009 H36 and do roughly the same as you describe. I've sailed it while overpowered substantially, but she'll sail at hull speed nicely balanced at 10-15 degrees and reducing sail to get that way substantially reduces stress on the rig and the crew ;) It also means the autopilot can manage the boat when its balanced - even with winds above 20 knots. But if its unbalanced and overpowered the autopilot will unceremoniously, and at precisely the most inconvenient moment, abruptly hand things back to you.

I did put new sails on the boat this year, replacing the originals left by the previous owner from 2009. I can't wait to get the new Quantum tri radials out and see how they do. Not only am I hoping to sail more efficiently and faster on a given point of sail, but also that the new main makes it easier to roll in and out than the stretched out main I had to baby onto (and out of) the in-mast furler.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
I’ve owned and sailed an H36 for 10 years. My experience is pretty consonant with yours, as far as reefing goes. I have 3 vertical battens in the main, and my reef points fall just aft of each batten. The sail shape is best that way. And let’s add that this is in moderate seas, and at wind angles of 90deg or less: 1/3 reef at winds over 15k steady; 2/3 if the gusting regularly goes over 20. 20-25k, 2/3-3/4 reef. The 110 foresail is reefed in winds over 20k. I once heard a North Sails designer say that modern monohulls are most efficient at 10k of wind with full sails out. If your H36 goes over 15degrees of heel, she’s being pushed sideways, so don’t exceed that. Weather helm is always my first indicator that I need to adjust my sail plan.My second is headway, which we measure onboard by looking at the difference between course made good (COG) and heading. A variance of or exceeding 10 degrees tells me that we need to adjust our sail plan. And yes, flatter is usually faster.
Another thing to keep in mind: the B&R rigged H36 is designed with the wind power in the center. This means that crabbing (sideways movement) is a symptom of overpowering the main, and it’s the main that overpowers first in a rising wind. Hope that helps.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
I think you've got it figured out. I've got a 130 roller furling genoa, and roller furling main on my 2009 H36 and do roughly the same as you describe. I've sailed it while overpowered substantially, but she'll sail at hull speed nicely balanced at 10-15 degrees and reducing sail to get that way substantially reduces stress on the rig and the crew ;) It also means the autopilot can manage the boat when its balanced - even with winds above 20 knots. But if its unbalanced and overpowered the autopilot will unceremoniously, and at precisely the most inconvenient moment, abruptly hand things back to you.

I did put new sails on the boat this year, replacing the originals left by the previous owner from 2009. I can't wait to get the new Quantum tri radials out and see how they do. Not only am I hoping to sail more efficiently and faster on a given point of sail, but also that the new main makes it easier to roll in and out than the stretched out main I had to baby onto (and out of) the in-mast furler.
Would love to get your report on the above.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
ditto for us on Escape! I had a long discussion with Glen Henderson about optimal trim on the 356 (basically same hull) and he said 10-15 degrees is best. sailing heeled way over is fun, but flatter is faster on these boats. You've also got the reefing progression right

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Hunter 36 Bayport Yachting Center
Thanks Chuckwayne. Great to hear!

Where did you get to meet Glen H?