H36 "Fixed" Boom Vang

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Just wondering if anyone has ever installed a "permanent" boom vang on their H36? I have the temporary type that I can install on the toe rail when needed, but was thinking of installing it in a more permanent way to the base of the mast. I have a Single Block with swivel stand-up installed just aft of the mast for the main sheet which may need to be moved. Was just wondering if anyone has done something to that affect on their 36...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@chichiflys This is often identified as a “rigid boom vang”. There are many boats with these installed. I know of no reason why the Hunter 36 could not have one.

When you put the vang on the rail it no longer is considered a vang it becomes a “preventer”. My suspicion is you do that when sailing off the winds (beam reach or down wind). While this idea is good, the loading on the rail and the attachment to the boom can be large. Better (safer) to rig a line to the end of the boom to serve as your preventer.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice install @Alctel.

I watched @LeslieTroyer put one on his Catalina 36 S/V Mahalo this year. Only gave a little bit of help as the resourceful and "let's get er done" Les had pretty much completed the work.

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
@chichiflys This is often identified as a “rigid boom vang”. There are many boats with these installed. I know of no reason why the Hunter 36 could not have one.

When you put the vang on the rail it no longer is considered a vang it becomes a “preventer”. My suspicion is you do that when sailing off the winds (beam reach or down wind). While this idea is good, the loading on the rail and the attachment to the boom can be large. Better (safer) to rig a line to the end of the boom to serve as your preventer.
Correct- that's how I use the current set up, albeit rarely. I'll look into the rigid vang - I know Garhauer makes a few. I recently saw a "preventer" like mine attached to the base of the mast and the boom on a Cherubini H33 in my marina - but they are never at the boat it seems, so I couldn't chat with them. Thanks for the info.

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Thanks John - nice website. Did yo have any issues with the main sheet routing after installing the vang? Looks nice though - robust as well. Which model # did you pick?
RV 20-1SL 28-44 ft
No problem with mainsheet routing, it attached to a padeye to the aft of the vang connection and was out the way of everything.