H36 Companionway hatch repair

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
on our 2009 H36T, we slid back the hatch one day, it kept going, and showed us two loose screws. (I’ve already groaned, punsters.)
Anyone know what i’ll Be repairing, and how?
I assume that the dog house needs to be removed, amirite?

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Were the screws holding a stop that has disintegrated? You said the hatch slid back and kept sliding, so that's nor normal, right? The screws look like they held maybe a rubber stop in place. If so, there has to be a way to remove the hatch and put it back together. Will it lift up and pull out to clear the missing stop?
If it is a stop that's missing.
Drawer slides sometimes have a catch that can be depressed or moved to allow for removal, but most tilt up, pull out a little farther, then tilt down to clear the back end over the stop.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I am thinking maybe screws came loose on the rubber stops and would look at that part first before you start taking any other part of that very big job and my 2007 always slide back until it=hits the rubber stops and I don’t think you,want to take that hood off because se. a very big job.
I saw how my boat wa s built at The factory.
Nick

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Stu, it doesn't look like the screws held a stop on top. Would they have held a stop underneath. The doghouse is held in place by maybe 8-10 fasteners so if that has to be removed shouldn't be a big deal assuming it is not raining or snowing.

Jul 7, 2012
Hunter 36 Des Moines, WA
There is also a dab of putty at each screw that may take a little persuading to break loose. I have had mine off recently and waiting for a break in the weather to pull it off again to route a wire.

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Hi Stu,

I just took mine off my 02 356, it wasn't a big deal. I'm glad I did as I'm cleaning the area under the hood. My stop is a piece of starboard held with two screws. You should have no issue taking it off. I will try to post some pictures when I go back to the boat.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Do you have a piece of teak the width of the sliding compionway slider that also I think has some kind of maybe rubber stopper.
Just saying removing the hood with sealant all around to stop any leaks is a lotto doif something easy.
Not a bad idea to clean under but needs good reseal with install.
I just had back surgery so can’t go look at boat,but if others saying easy than go for it.
Nick

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Thanks, Nick. It’s hard to imagine how I would get at that fallen stopper without removing the doghouse, but you’ve helped by telling me it’s possible.