H36 "Bulkhead" separation?

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
During the process of rebuilding the base of our compression post last year, I took notice of the outboard, upper portion of the aft bulkhead in the head on our '82 H36. The corner is separating from the inner pan. I understand the construction of many of these Hunters was to use an inner "pan" glassed to the outer pan (hull) - negating or minimizing the need for traditional stringers or even structural bulkheads to some degree. Is that a somewhat accurate statement?

Anyways, regarding the separating of the wall in the head, should this be cause for serious alarm? Is that bulkhead a structural component or just interior cabinetry? I think it's the later, but the fact that it seems to be supported on its interior side by the compression post makes me think otherwise. Hope the pictures make sense. Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Not familiar with that boat but if it is made like the old H-34, those bulkheads are there mostly as "cabinetry".. They do take a compression load and the starboard one holds the compression post in place. The post is generally not attached at the bottom. Your first statement is generally correct.. Had the compression post sagged? If so, the cabin would have slightly "squished" down as the top fiberglass beam sagged , and that could have caused the bulkhead to pull away .. I wouldn't get too excited but I would keep an eye on it.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
This is a GREAT question for the SBO consulting team. You can buy an hour of their time, send them the photos, then talk with them on the phone about this. They may have someone on the team that helped build this model of boat and can give you a definitive answer and some suggestions on how to rectify, if necessary. I used them for a project and they were extremely helpful.

Aug 10, 2010
Kloudie1 and TFox - thank you for the feedback! Before rebuilding the failing compression post support in the bilge it didn't really compress much, if at all, as far as I can tell; but I suspect something clearly moved around to cause the gap....I wasn't aware of the SBO consulting team so I will investigate and certainly look into getting a consult. Appreciate the info!

Aug 10, 2010
Just looping back on this. It would appear SBO no longer has a consulting team for older Hunters. So if anyone has any thoughts on the matter I'm all ears. Thanks.

Apr 10, 2023
Hunter 37c Port of Madison
They look OK to me. If you don't see any rotten parts around the hull side it's probably fine. I'm currently ripping mine out and yours look ok.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Just looping back on this. It would appear SBO no longer has a consulting team for older Hunters. So if anyone has any thoughts on the matter I'm all ears. Thanks.
Well that's a darn shame! Appreciate you circling back on that.

Aug 10, 2010
Thanks all. Definitely will keep an eye on it, but for now will continue with the 37 other projects on my plate. Good luck Monocerosin with the rebuilding of that cool boat.....Cheers and Happy Holidays.