H356 battery upgrade

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
Anybody out there added batteries to their 356? Thé battery box in the aft Locker is very small... Anybody ideas?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Do you mean port cockpit locker and if so I had 2-4D’s in battery box and did change box to
2 battery boxes for the 4-6 volt batteries and I also have a 4200 Fisher Panda Gen and so to help
balance the boat did move the batteries to under saloon table seats on the starboard side and used the same cables.
Been there, since 2010.
Nick

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Did you make boxes, or are there off the shelf ones available for two 6-volts?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Escape has 4 group 27 agm batteries in the house bank, 2 in the original box and 2 in the port cabin locker - not optimal (all 4 should be as close together as possible) but works well. I added a single group 27 aft of the standard box (in a separate box) as an emergency start battery.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
I put 2 Northstar Slimline M12-210 AGM batteries in a compartment under the aft bunk behind the bulkhead for the port side cockpit locker for a house bank (2x210 amp-hrs). I put a Lifeline Group 27 AGM in the old battery box in the port locker. The new house bank is almost on the centerline of the boat to balance the extra weight. The photos shows the house bank, the engine start battery and the new battery switches.
House Batteries 1.JPG
Engine Start Battery.JPG
Battery Switches 2.JPG

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
Don't have a generator and PO had installed 4 group 27 batteries in the port cockpit locker; two in the original FRP box and two in additional plastic boxes. I wanted to get rid of the lead acid batteries and go to Trojan AGM group 31 which are about 1 1/2" longer. Took out the FRP box, cut it down the middle, added enough to hold the larger batteries, fiberglassed it back together and reinstalled it with 5200. The plastic boxes fit fine. The PO had the batteries wired with 3 in the house group and 1 in the engine start. Didn't think that was right but ProMariner told me it was fine and the battery charger would do OK. After that I installed a larger more modern 40amp ProMariner 12-40 P. Someday, I would like to use the 4 Group 31 as a house bank and then add a smaller Group 24 for engine starting on it's own charger.

I like Seadadler's solution because that compartment is difficult to reach for storage, so a good place for sealed vrla batteries; incredible you used the same cables. Don't know if it would unbalance the boat without a generator; although mine is a tiny bit to port. The under berth would be great also but don't know if there is enough room for 4 batteries.

Attachments