H340 conversion from packing to mechanical seal

Jan 12, 2012
None None Bellingham, WA
I assume you are referring to something along the lines of a PSS dripless seal. I made the change right after purchasing our 340 3 seasons ago and have had no issues whatsoever. Obviously, the boat needs to be out of the water, and the install is fairly straightforward and simple. I would recommend the PSS to anyone looking to get away from traditional packing.

You will no doubt get a wide variety of opinions regarding shaft seals from the group, but from what I've seen it really boils down to user preference.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Mainsail

If you go to Mainsail's web link it shows how to info on the shaft coupling and also go to PSS web site for more info and yes the boat needs to be out of the water and hardest part is taking the shaft coupling off.
Nick

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
Hi. I need to change the bellows on my PSS. My boat is out of the water as the KM2P transmission just went out. The boat is currently in the yard and I am not in the area. Does anyone know gland I should order? The mechanic said he would do it but he didn't know which one. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Just did it

I just changed mine Jan this year and I called PSS and think I had to measure the bellows length and shaft size for the correct one needed.
Nick

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
Re: Just did it

Hi. I have a 2001 H340, and I am not there to measure. Does anyone know the normal measurement for that boat? I am going down next week and only have a day or so to have the maintenance done so I want to order it now. Thanks