H34 rig tension

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Aside from my current conundrum if I should I buy the boat should I not buy the boat,

This hunter 34 rig seems to have some really high tension on the standing rigging & shrouds specifically.

I'm not asking about tuning it just yet,

but is it typical for the rigging to be guitar string tight! strumming even.

Thanks for any insight in advance!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mine is not quite what I would describe as "that" tight in the shrouds .. but mine is tightened to not be loose on either tack in 25 or so knots true ..more like the strings of a bass and not a guitar? the headstay and backstay are a very little tighter than the shrouds..
EDIT: The headstay, backstay and the lower shrouds are 9/32", slightly larger than most boats that size and feel pretty tight when they are about right.. Another possibility is that some bozo tuned it using the method for a B&R rig without a backstay which would result in tighter shrouds..

Last edited:

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Mine is not quite what I would describe as "that" tight in the shrouds .. but mine is tightened to not be loose on either tack in 25 or so knots true ..more like the strings of a bass and not a guitar? the headstay and backstay are a very little tighter than the shrouds..
EDIT: The headstay, backstay and the lower shrouds are 9/32", slightly larger than most boats that size and feel pretty tight when they are about right.. Another possibility is that some bozo tuned it using the method for a B&R rig without a backstay which would result in tighter shrouds..
I can't speak to my forestay since its got furling extrusion around it, but was your rig upsized at some point? The split portion of my backstays are 1/4" and my shrouds V1 and V2 are 1/4". My D1 is 9/32.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Depends on which stays you are talking about. The backstay and forestay will feel more loose than the sidestays and the diagonal stays will be quite tight. The diagionals are responsible for creating the mast bend so they are what they are. The H-34 has the B&R Rig with the backstay added for good measure so the sidestays also act as backstays and will be quite tight relative to the forestay because geometry. Is the mast straight? How loose to the leeward sidestays get when sailing? Since you just bought the boat a rig tune is in order anyway.

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Oh I'm not even going to try and address tuning yet, I call them the shrouds the side stays, they are pretty freaking tight! There is bend in the mast I am aware it's a b&r rig, and I did read up on it, it didn't scare me away.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Oh I'm not even going to try and address tuning yet, I call them the shrouds the side stays, they are pretty freaking tight! There is bend in the mast I am aware it's a b&r rig, and I did read up on it, it didn't scare me away.
As rig tuning goes the H-34 is challenging to say the least.

Jun 24, 2019
Hunter 34 CFB Trenton
Agreed!

Selden's manual is excellent, but doesn't cover my 1984 H34 which is not a pure B&R, because it has a backstay. The next closest is the Masthead, multi-spreader rig, swept spreaders, deck-stepped mast, FORWARD and aft lowers shrouds on page 36; but this rig doesn't have forward shrouds. How would you tune it if you were me?

I feel like it's a B&R rig with suspenders in addition to the belt. So maybe tune it as a pure B&R then put 15% onto the backstay because it needs some amount of pre-load? This would reduce shroud tension but can always pick up the slack by tightening (if necessary) while tacking.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So maybe tune it as a pure B&R then put 15% onto the backstay
Interesting way of looking at your rig. It works. Care should be considered in tensioning your backstay.

You tension the B&R rig to maintain the mast in column and create prebend in the mast.

You add tension to a backstay to trim shape the sails not to add a specific tension to the rigging. Too much tension (pulling the top 20% of the mast aft) will weaken the upper mast extrusion.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Estimating tension is a crap shoot unless at one extreme or the other. Loos gauge will give definitive numbers while also the next Nanking you to compare tensions throughout north he rigging. Then sail it and adjust like mentioned above