H34 New furler need help after tornado

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Well the Progressive Insurance rep was here and they are going to pay for a new furler. My question now is which one? What size? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks... Jon

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Easiest to go with same brand, upgrade; I don't recognize that one.. .. I am really happy with my old Harken unit.. was put on the boat in 1986 and still works fine.. check to be sure whichever you choose can furl and reef... comes in handy sometimes..

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
2nd kloudie1's suggestion. You'll end up with some spare parts, no?

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
That is a great idea Claude however they stopped making that model or any continuous furler system for that matter. :( -Jon

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Whose system did you have on the boat before? You mentioned a continuous furler system not being made anymore?

http://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=034g#, is an example of one.
Another: http://www.facnor.com/uk/products/headsail_furlers/continuous_line_range/ (These have been a lot bigger boats that are ocean racers.)

There are others.(I've not ever had one myself, being old fashioned. If you have more than a 100% jib, I'd be less likely to consider one for a variety of reasons.)

As for headsail furlers: Harken, Shaefer, Profurl, Furlex, and Seldon make good units. I've had friends use Shaefer and swear by them.

For me, my general advice for most head sail furler applications: Get a Harken -- you'll be less likely to need spare parts. ;^)))) They have always been there when a part got damaged by an anchor, spinnaker pole, docking "event", and the like over the last thirty years, or so for me and my friends.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Recommend that you package the pulpit repair work and the furler with a TOP RATED local rigger. Riggers work with both and can get your new pulpit installed or sub'd to a metal worker for repair. They know how to get a pulpit off and on a boat. Have the rigger tell you what furling system state you have, and you tell him what you like and don't like about your furler system. These guys work with furling systems all the time and know what works, is reliable and what is hype.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: On the Harken. I have a ProFurler and when it dies a new Harken will replace it. Like the open design. Easier to maintain. Clean out the salt and grime with a spray is fresh water.

Gunni has a good point about a local rigger. You'll have less headaches.

Feb 22, 2011
Hunter Legend 37 Muskegon, MI
I had a hood ld (line drive) system on a previous boat. It worked but it left with the boat. My current boat is a Legend 37 and it had a Hood ld system on it that was converted to a sl (single line) system. After 28 years of use it gave up the ghost. Got tired of replacing the bearings in it because it got tired sloppy and they all jumped overboard. The PO also bent one of the sections on the lift they used and I couldn't find a replacement. I now have a Harken MKIV Unit 1 and it furls and reefs well. Our boat is at about the max size for this furler but I wanted to keep the drum in the anchor well and flush with the deck. With yours being a 34, I would think it would work well on yours also. Here is another forum that has a similar discussion about furlers. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/harken-furler-mark-1-unit-0-a-119098.html Good luck with your choice.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thank you all. I'm going to do some research based on your comments... I have the rigger coming next week and will probably make a decision then. Thanks again... -Jon

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Hey PG
Did you do anything about a bottom job and which yard.
Been talking to many PG sailors who have used that Riveria yard and been happy and he charges $30 per ft
that includes everything in and out sand paint no extra charges and some one just told me they did blisters no extra charges
Nick

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Did you do anything about a bottom job and which yard.
Morning Nick..... I had my diver here the same time the insurance adjuster was here and I asked him to check for any damage to the hull and to see if I needed the hull painted.... He sail no to both.. So I think I'm going to wait until probably mid October once it starts to cool down again. I really liked George the Painter over at the old All American Yard, but I really hated to drive all that way if I could do it closer to home.

Thank You for the tip on Riviera. I'll check them out. I wonder if I'll have any draft issues? Mine is 4'3". Thanks again!
-Jon