H34 cowl vents

Aug 12, 2019
Hunter 34 Wilson, ny
I damaged the plastic fittings for the cowl vents when I removed them to paint the hood. Does anyone know of a place to get replacements? Or I was thinking of replacing them with solar vent fans?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You can find a replacement cowls in plastic or stainless steel from any number of local or on-line marine parts store. The key is matching the opening (to allow direct drop in) and ideally the existing screw hole pattern. I have done this on every sailboat I have owned without having to modify the opening and drill new holes and plug the old holes since they are generally universal.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
The problem with the Hunter 34 cowls is that they are of a unique size and model no longer in existence. You might be lucky and find something in the salvage yards. I remember seeing here on this site a mod made by a 34 owner who had the same problem you did. Perhaps a search of the archives will turn it up for you. Good luck.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
My cowls were in bad shape so I replaced them with these passive vents.
Got them for about $35 a piece on sale. My sense is they probably don't provide as good ventilation as solar, but are cheaper, longer lasting, and about as effective as the cowls.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
I spent forever trying to replace those and could not find any. Here's what I did. While I was at it I put baffles in the dorade box as there weren't any to prevent sideways water intake (although these cowls came with shut-off plates and insect screens that can be inserted.) Are actually much nicer than the plastic cowls and the varnished mahogany board really adds a nice touch

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps a talented craftsman can make replacements with a 3 D Printer.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
You cannot find drop in replacements. Many before you have tried. I put in stainless vents and used starboard instead of mahagony. Looks great.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
remove the old vent opening hardware, it's only a few screws. Then clean off old sealant and cut a piece of star board and silicon and screw it over the old cutout opening. Then simply cut in new vents. The company that made the original vent is out of business and the vents were not a standard size.