H34 buy or not...

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Looing at a H 34 on Monday 7/19 Discoverd they have a secret bilge!
( doesn't scare me I know how to work resins & glass)

What may be other things do I need to know about that will help me make a informed decision?

Use will be; semi- live-aboard, recreational sialing, no hard core racing or heavy weater (yes I know expect the unexpected reef early). Expect to stay on the Chesepeake
(but dream of being a snowbird.)

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Years ago there was a gentleman in my marina that sailed his Hunter 34 in the Annapolis to Bermuda Race a number of times. Nobody died and the boat always made it to Bermuda and back, but folks rarely crewed with him twice on that race. That H34 was a tough boat, though!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The two things to look out for are the compression post and the chain plate anchors. Lots of posts here on the forum about those. I have owned mine since 1991 and she still makes me smile. We have several long term owners on the site. Great to have you aboard and welcome!

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Thank you everyone! I had an Oday 30 set up for single-handing. Used to be on the Tidal Delawar River and did a few trips to and back from the the Chessy.

Know about the compression post don't see it as a deal breaker, chain plates, should be checked on the survey,
I'll update as the story begins! (or ends)

Last edited:

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
There are 1,236 owners of that boat registered here on the Forum, and 100 owner reviews listed under Owner Resources on HunterOwners.com, if we're talking about the 1983-1987 h34, here's a link to that page:

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
........What may be other things do I need to know about that will help me make a informed decision?.......
The Hunter 34 is a good boat. My first sailboat was a 1987 Hunter 31, another good one. A marine survey will verify the boat's overall condition but consider engine, rigging and electrical surveys, which are generally outside the scope of the marine survey, give the boat's age. Expect to paint the bottom, and look at the condition of the sails, canvas, running rigging, lifelines, electronics, cushions, anchoring equipment, docking lines, safety equipment as these may not be part of any survey and given the boat's age might be ready for replacement or upgrade. These links will be helpful in what to look for during your survey:

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Know about the compression post don't see it as a deal breaker, chain plates, should be checked on the survey
Just an FYI, no surveyor in their right mind is going to check these chain plates because they are encased between the hull and inner fiberglass pan. Its impossible without a scope camera or cutting holes. Its something thats easy to do once you read up on the forum about it, but just letting you know, the surveyor won't inspect the real plate. They may inspect the stainless steel rod that goes down to the plate if you have a good surveyor, but that isn't where these fail, the hidden part is where they fail. And for the compression post, without pulling the teak cover you can't really know if its good or not either. You'll definitely know if its totally failed because you will see cracking and depressions in the glass around it. But if its starting to fail, no way to know unless the teak covers are pulled.