H34 and Maxwell Winches

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
My question is this..... I need to clean up my 1986 H34's Geno winches.... They are Maxwell, 2 speed self-tailing ones. After cleaning up the smaller ones on the cabin top, I found that I really must remove the base of the winch in order to put it back together with out the possibility of all the parts fly all over the place. Do I need to remove the base of the Geno winches too? If so, is there an easy way to access the lock nuts while removing the winch? The starboard winch I can probably get to from the dungeon, but the port one???????? Any info would be helpful! Thanks... Jon

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
PG. not sure what a "geno" winch is. Is Geno the name? Is there a size number for the winch? Is it self tailing or not?
More info would be needed to help.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Genoa winches.. Maxwell 25, two speed self tailing..
My port ones have an access port installed under them to be able to access the nuts from the aft cabin..
something like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-...46354&wl11=online&wl12=33126106&wl13=&veh=sem

If ya get a cardboard box about 18 inches square, you cut a hole in the bottom the size of the bottom of the winch drum and place it over the winch when working on it.. helps retain the parts when did or re-assembling the winches

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Claude... PS... I must be getting old.... where was the note about service without the base? Thanks... Jon

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
No problem.. on page 8 of the first link, they talk about removing the "cheese headed screws". those hold the center "tower" to the base which can stay attached to the boat..
Thanks, John Sailem.. I have same boat and (now obsolete) winches, so figured out what he is doing.. I am lucky because the PO installed some Lewmar 43's when he rigged it for spinnaker work. .. As Jimmy Buffett said, "You can't pronounce your R's and G's when you are speaking Southernese."
Love your area jssailem.. back in my working days, I spent a good bit of time there and enjoyed the San Juans but by ferry boat.. as the ferries sped past locals in sailboats, I couldn't help but note how unique it must be to have so many islands and coves to play in!..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Claude, It is fun. So many places to go. So little time.
I've been fortunate to enjoy sailing both the east and west coasts. One locale that is on my bucket list is your bayou country. The closest I got was Houston for a couple of days. And that seemed another country. Did get to suck the heads of a bowl of mud bugs. Delicious.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I rebuilt all 4 of mine 2 years ago. I did not need to remove the bases. I do recommend carefully cleaning all the parts and lubricating with the special grease for that application. Test your work and rebuild again as necessary.

Attachments

Apr 20, 2016
Hunter 37 Cutter Chesapeake City, MD
I did mine over the winter, take pictures as you disassemble. The winch lifts off of the base and the cardboard box trick is invaluable

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
My question is this..... I need to clean up my 1986 H34's Geno winches.... They are Maxwell, 2 speed self-tailing ones. After cleaning up the smaller ones on the cabin top, I found that I really must remove the base of the winch in order to put it back together with out the possibility of all the parts fly all over the place. Do I need to remove the base of the Geno winches too? If so, is there an easy way to access the lock nuts while removing the winch? The starboard winch I can probably get to from the dungeon, but the port one???????? Any info would be helpful! Thanks... Jon

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Rebuilt all of mine many times, always on the boat. Got a cheap plastic tablecloth rather than cardboard box and cut a hole in it taped to base. Took pictures as I disassembled it. Did not remove base.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks all.... Got them all out and cleaned. I had to remove the base of each one since 1 or more of the screws were seized. Lots of Penetrating Oil and some banging and in 1 case 2 days loosened up the offending screw. What a difference a cleaning makes! -Jon