H33:what is the keel made of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2006
Hunter 33 Sea Harbour Marina, Oriental, NC
I'm sure I could call Hunter for this but I thought I'd start here first.
I have a 2004 Hunter 33. Is the keel lead, steel or ?
thanks.
Miike Oatsvall

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Cast Iron

My 2007 is cast Iron and don't know what year they changed to cast Iron,I am sure Hunter to help.
When bottom painting a cast Iron if you sand down to the metal a special sealer is needed.
Nick

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
If it's like my H30, it's probably lead encapsulated in steel. But yours could be different

Dave

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Really Nick?! I remember that Hunter switched to iron in the mid-80s, the H34 was notorious for rusty keels. I thought they had switched back to solid lead years ago. I never heard of lead encapsulated in steel. Hunter did investigate the use of encapsulated concrete many years ago but could not get the weight per volume that was required.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Was Told

I am not sure who told me that they now use cast Iron,I was surprised to hear it was not Lead.
I will look in my Manual maybe it was in the manual that said it.
Nick

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33 Sold Erie PA
2004 Hunter 33 Keel
I have a 2004 33 and mine is lead. Hunter changed later to iron with lead bulb

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My H34 keel isn't rusty.. It is cast iron encased in Interprotect 3000 barrier coat

N

nickc

Lead Key Selling Feature

One of the key selling points when I bought my H33 2004 Hull #208 was the fact that it had a lead (fin) keel. This was in the sales literature. It certainly is lead as I had some keel repairs done a couple of years ago when the Hunter applied paint started bubbling and parted company with the lead.
The reason for my keeness for lead was that my previous boat had a cast iron keel with epoxy paint and it required major derusting everytime it came out of the water. I paid for all sorts of fancy treatments but nothing really worked. Also of course lead is the best for yacht performance, higher density less volume for same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.