H33 shower sump

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Hostler

I have a 1979 h33 and am running a dehumidifier that I have put in the head and let it drain into the shower sump. My sump has a bilge pump with a manual switch. Can anyone tell me if the sump overfills will it go into the bildge or overflow into the boat? I can put an automatic switch on it but its hard to get at. I am a new 33 owner and any help would be appretiated. Kevin

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I think it depends on how it was plumbed.

Kevin: I do not believe that these boats had shower sumps. Yours was probably an aftermarket unit that was installed by a previous owner. There are usually a couple of attachment points for input and output hoses. I would suggest that if you have one that pumps overboard, you should add another one to *flow* into the bilge. Obviously you are concerned in the case of a failure with the pump in the sump!

T

Terry arnold

shower sump overflow

When showering, the way I know to pump the shower sump on my 79 H33 is when I'm standing in water backing up from the sump, i.e. the water appears in the shower pan first. If the manual switch is not activated, the water would eventually get to the bilge, just not a pretty way. Could you use the head lavatory drain for the dehumidifier? It's gravity drain to the outside. With my boat in the Florida panhandle, the mildew and such was practically eliminated with a pair of solar vents replacing the old passive ventilators.

P

Peter Roach

Go with the automatic switch

I woud go with the automatic switch otherwise you will be dehumidifing part of the boat and rehumidifing another part.

S

Sam Lust

Simpler is better

I assume your de-humidifier is in the cabinet under the sink. ( Seems to me that trying to de-humidify a boat is akin to attempting to reverse the tide. Just open a damn port for some ventilation!!) All you need to do is run the condensate hose down under the wooden floor of the cabinet and under the liner directly to the bilge where you'll find a perfectly good bilge pump and automatic switch just waiting for water to get rid of. (Remember, condensate is essentialy as pure as water is going to get.) I don't know about your '79, but on my '83 the bilge pump's outlet is on the side of the hull at the sheer stripe by the head sink. Stick your head into the small locker with the sliding doors over the sink and you'll be able to trace the hose down to it's origins in the bilge. And yes Steve, the 33 does in fact have a very nice shower sump

S

steven f.

agree with the solor vents

I have an 81 33 and I live in SW fla. Down here it is both hot and humid at least 8 months of the year. Not that this will work for you but on our boat we have two solor vents and a simple electric dehumidifier (assuming you have 120 v power to your boat). The dehumidifier doesn't drain anyplace, it appearantly evaporates the moisture because in several years I've never drained it and there are no puddles under it and we have yet to see any mildew or mold. Leaving a port hole open is out of the question here in the summer, it rains (except this last year) every day. Hope you find something that works for you, there are certainly more than one correct ways to keep a boat dry, good luck.

K

Ken Palmer

Shower pump

I don't believe the shower sump is an after-market add-on with the H33. Mine sure looks factory installed. The problem I had was the long length of hose to the thru-hull. Water would flow right back to the small well after the pump was turned off. I installed a check valve, and everything seems to work fine now. Here in Rochester, I usually leave the port open in the head, and never have a mildew or moisture problem. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty 1981 H33

E

Ernie Tetrault

automatic is the way to go!

I agree with Peter. Go with the automatic bilge pump. I installed the smallest I could find in the West Marine catalog and it works fine. One word of warning though, be very carefull when drilling a pilot hole for the mounting screw. I accidently went right through the hull! (it patched for the season with a wooden shish-kabab skewer)

T

Tim Schaaf

K.I.S.S.!

The 33 has a very nice sump, to be sure, but I wonder what the average length of time is for one of those automatic switches to fail.......I have been through quite a few. And, as for draining the water into the bilge, a wet bilge is thought to be a good recipe for blisters...and it is worse if the water is fresh, since its osmotic pressure will differ further from that of salt water. (so, maybe a pump in the refer drain would help, too?). Why not just plumb the humidifier into the hose that leads from the head sink drain overboard and let gravity do its thing? That is what I do with my water-maker reject water, and it works just fine.

T

Tim Schaaf

Hunble Pie

I am munching on some Humble Pie regarding my previous answer, entitled KISS, which I wish I could retract! Upon a few seconds reflection, it occurs to me that if the humidifier is mounted in the cabinet, the water it accumulates is going to be lower than the thru-hull for the sink drain, so of course gravity will not get the water there. In fact, if the thru-hull were to dip below the water line, things could get very humid, indeed! My water maker has, of course, a pump, which is how the water loops up above the drain, and back down again. In other words, my solution would require a pump, and a switch, just as the shower sump does......so, "never mind". I do stand by my comments regarding a wet bilge and the refer, however!

B

Ben Braden

My Hunter 33 shower sump

Too offer a simple solution, I got tired of the shower sump leaving a small bit of water that would come out into the head when I was on port tack, So I drilled some small holes in the bottom so a small amount of water would slowly drain into the bilge, where I already have an automatic bilge pump. But if I am running allot of water into the shower I still have the manual switched pump to take care of most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.