H33 battery upgrade

May 3, 2020
Hunter 33 Houston
Hey guys thinking of upgrading my 05 33 batteries
It doesn’t seem that I have a house battery just two batteries under my salon seats. Does this sound similar to anyone? Was thinking about throwing two lithium’s in there, talked to battleborn rep and seems my inverter charger wil be ok.
But seems from reading online lithium ions may not be great for starting ? Anyways thanks for any advice

Oct 13, 2016
Hunter 33 Kingston
I installed 3 AGM batteries on my 05-H33 and I probably have room for a 4th one (they are Group 24s so not so big). My battery 1 is used for starting and the other two are my house batteries. These are "hybrid" AGMs so they are rated for both cranking and house use and since they are all identical, I can swap them if need be. My two house batteries are connected in parallel.

I have two flexible 100W solar panels on the bimini which keep the batteries charged when we're on the hook. I have the built-in fridge and a second (portable) fridge located under the nav table. This setup is affordable and works for me. I find I only have to run the engine after 3 days on the hook if it's sunny. Otherwise I run the engine for an hour or so to recharge and make some hot water.

I don't know much about Lithium Ion batteries other that they tend to be quite expensive and I am not sure they are worth it since there are many more affordable options. I don't know if the H33s charger/inverter are suitable for these batteries but I will let someone else chime in...

May 3, 2020
Hunter 33 Houston
I installed 3 AGM batteries on my 05-H33 and I probably have room for a 4th one (they are Group 24s so not so big). My battery 1 is used for starting and the other two are my house batteries. These are "hybrid" AGMs so they are rated for both cranking and house use and since they are all identical, I can swap them if need be. My two house batteries are connected in parallel.

I have two flexible 100W solar panels on the bimini which keep the batteries charged when we're on the hook. I have the built-in fridge and a second (portable) fridge located under the nav table. This setup is affordable and works for me. I find I only have to run the engine after 3 days on the hook if it's sunny. Otherwise I run the engine for an hour or so to recharge and make some hot water.

I don't know much about Lithium Ion batteries other that they tend to be quite expensive and I am not sure they are worth it since there are many more affordable options. I don't know if the H33s charger/inverter are suitable for these batteries but I will let someone else chime in...
ya I may get agms I need to learn a little more about the setup in order to step up to actually adding a battery instead of just replacing the two there
There is certainly room to add a third

buddy0

Sep 17, 2014
Hunter 33 Oriental, NC
I recently evaluated options for upgrading my battery bank on my 05 Hunter 33. I really wanted to put in Trojan 6v golf cart batteries for their capacity and longevity, but they are just too tall for the existing compartment and I couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Instead I installed two 105 amp hour group 31 pure deep cycle batteries for the house bank (Duracell SLI31MDC from Batteries Plus). They fit nicely in battery boxes without being over crowded. I have them both wired in serials as the house bank. I also use those to start the yanmar.

The yanmar started easily on the old group 27 house battery, even when partially discharged - I rarely if ever used the start battery. I didn't want to waste the battery space on a dedicated "start" battery, so I just have the 2 SL31s wired in series as the house battery now. Nothing is wired to the #2 position on the battery switch.

But, just to be safe, I also purchased a portable jump start battery pack from Costco. I haven't had to use it, but have loaned it out to others.

-buddy
05 Hunter 33