H310 outhaul rigging

Jul 2, 2019
Hunter 310 Pine Beach, NJ
Replacing all running rigging and this is the last one. Tried to fish new outhaul aft to forward and something hard kept hitting. Reversed my approach and fished a messenger forwarf to aft. Lo and behold a block with becket appeared. Fixed end is somewhere in the boom but I can't see where. The only place that makes sense to me is that it fixed to a padeye or something that is part of the boom vang pivot boss. that is the only thing not riveted and is held on by massive Phillips head screws. Did I win? Is the outhaul rigged here?

Jul 2, 2019
Ahhh y'all playing hard to get huh? I will remove the vang lug this week and post back if I find the answer.

Oct 15, 2017
Hunter 36 Deale, MD
Do you have a Selden rigging? I'm in the middle of replacing my outhaul and the eye loop end of the line is located on the forward end of the boom, right near the goose neck. I plan to pull the loop out and forward, cut it off and attaching the non-loop end of the replacement line to the cut, then pull the new line through the pully system via the existing line until the new loop is in place.

Attachments

Jul 2, 2019
I wish I had a window like that in my boom. But I don't. The only possible access point would be beneath a 2' long boss that the vang pivots on. It is held to the boom by 3 very large Phillips hd screws. Everything else on the boom is riveted. Below is a pic of the block inside the boom. Though is has 2 sheaves, only one is being used. That makes me suspicious. Why would Hunter install a double sheave block to use only one sheave?

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That makes me suspicious
That is a healthy way to consider the issue.

It is more likely that a previous owner errored in rigging the outhaul than Hunter installing a double sheave block and only using one leg of the sheaves.

These systems are meant to be serviced. You should be able to access either end of the boom. This may entail removing the boom from the mast and accessing by removing the gooseneck. Cutting the side of the boom to create a window should be avoided.

Jul 2, 2019
That is a healthy way to consider the issue.

It is more likely that a previous owner errored in rigging the outhaul than Hunter installing a double sheave block and only using one leg of the sheaves.

These systems are meant to be serviced. You should be able to access either end of the boom. This may entail removing the boom from the mast and accessing by removing the gooseneck. Cutting the side of the boom to create a window should be avoided.
Yes I vote for previous owner "rigging" something an easier way than original. On the same outhaul I already caught another error where they side skipped a fairlead and had to come up with an engineering marvel to right the wrong.

I removed the vang attachment and to my dismay there is no way into the boom. There seems to be no way into the boom to service this rope as it is definitely anchored inside. today I spotted two rivets a short distance from the gooseneck end and I fear they are the key. I thihk there is a padeye inside as there seems to be no obvious reason for these rivets. The endcap for the gooseneck is riveted to the boom so it looks like Hunter expects you to drill the rivets and either re-rivet or drill and tap to replace this rope. I will post pics tomorrow when I have resources to get pics from phone to camera.

The frustrating thing is lack of knowledge. Hunter published beautifully comprehensive engineering dwgs and schematics but somehow makes no mention whatsoever of an outhaul in their documents.

Jul 2, 2019
Do you have a Selden rigging? I'm in the middle of replacing my outhaul and the eye loop end of the line is located on the forward end of the boom, right near the goose neck. I plan to pull the loop out and forward, cut it off and attaching the non-loop end of the replacement line to the cut, then pull the new line through the pully system via the existing line until the new loop is in place.
What is Selden rigging?

Feb 22, 2011
Hunter Legend 37 Muskegon, MI
I have the same problem of routing a broken out haul line. Here is another thread that has some diagrams of other out haul set ups.
In Boom Outhaul

Jul 2, 2019
OK. I have completed the job and would like to publish the entire project here. It consists of about 20 photos which I will caption and mark up. Seems like an awful lot to put in this thread. Is there a more appropriate place for me to post this? If I post here I think I have to lump all text together before any photos. That makes it hard to understand and causes a lot of back and forth maneuvering. Which leads to the most likely way to post in this thread... Inserting 1 photo with text into 20 separate posts. What is the consensus guys?

Jun 14, 2020
Hunter 310 Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa
@wdonovan 20 posts, 1 per pic would be great. Maybe you'd need to put them all in a new thread and reference it here?
I have another idea, unless you have all your commentary written out already: what if you were to just create a YouTube video showing the pictures and talking about them? That might be easier and quicker.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
OK. I have completed the job and would like to publish the entire project here.... Which leads to the most likely way to post in this thread...
You can post it as a download on this forum. Under "Owner Resources" there is a menu choice for general downloads which if pressed reveals a list of many such downloads. There is a button up upload a document. You would have to create that document but would provide a service to others who may run into the same issue. And you send that link to others when a question comes up on a forum - and it will.

Jun 14, 2020
Hunter 310 Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa
You can post it as a download on this forum. Under "Owner Resources" there is a menu choice for general downloads which if pressed reveals a list of many such downloads. There is a button up upload a document. You would have to create that document but would provide a service to others who may run into the same issue. And you send that link to others when a question comes up on a forum - and it will.
@wdonovan have you been able to upload your document? If you're still figuring it out, would you mind emailing me a copy? sbkidd001 at gmail dot com. My main sheet is really stiff and getting frustrating to handle. I also need to replace frayed reefing lines, but don't dare to until I get this figured out. Much appreciated!!

Jul 2, 2019
@wdonovan have you been able to upload your document? If you're still figuring it out, would you mind emailing me a copy? sbkidd001 at gmail dot com. My main sheet is really stiff and getting frustrating to handle. I also need to replace frayed reefing lines, but don't dare to until I get this figured out. Much appreciated!!
Okey dokey. Starting to upload this morning. In this forum. Post will be "Replacing internal outhaul"