H310 fuel shutoff valve

Jul 2, 2019
Hunter 310 Pine Beach, NJ
Trying to change the filter and drain the separator but I can’t find a fuel shut off valve upstream. The fuel tank is so buried I can barely see a few inches of it and if there is a valve The most likely place is under the cockpit floor. The part where the fitting for emergency tiller goes through. Does anyone know where this valve is and how I can get to it?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Take a look at Figure 61A in your manual that shows the location of your fuel shutoff valve.

1603645315602.png

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
@sail sfbay 's drawing shows where the shut off valve is located. Same as my manual.

Don't see where the problem is. Go into the aft port lazzarette, remove the rear access cover in the floor, and there it is, directly below.

The fuel tank is so buried I can barely see a few inches of it and if there is a valve
Something wrong here. The top of the tank should be open to view and free of obstructions. Here's a partial view looking down through the opening in the lazz. floor. A few wiring conduits over the tank and that's it.

Fuel Tank Pump Out Fitting.JPG

I've got to wonder if a previous owner got in there and did a number on it.

See also for a discussion on H-310 fuel tanks:

Jul 2, 2019
So the 6 bolt flange with square head in center is the valve? That explains it. I was looking for an inline ball valve.

Jul 2, 2019
@sail sfbay 's drawing shows where the shut off valve is located. Same as my manual.

Don't see where the problem is. Go into the aft port lazzarette, remove the rear access cover in the floor, and there it is, directly below.

Something wrong here. The top of the tank should be open to view and free of obstructions. Here's a partial view looking down through the opening in the lazz. floor. A few wiring conduits over the tank and that's it.

View attachment 186550

I've got to wonder if a previous owner got in there and did a number on it.

See also for a discussion on H-310 fuel tanks:

Is the flange in your photo the actual valve?

Jan 4, 2006
So the 6 bolt flange with square head in center is the valve?
Sorry about not labelling that. No, the round flange you see was installed to provide easy access to the tank for sampling diesel fuel every so often to check for contamination. The sample is sucked out with a PELA oil extractor pump.

The small 90 degree valve you are looking is on the top of the tank and is more towards the inboard side of the tank. Sorry I don't have a picture of it. Private message me if you still can't find it and I will stick a camera in there next time I am at the boat and get you a photo so you know exactly what you're looking for.

Jul 2, 2019
Sorry about not labelling that. No, the round flange you see was installed to provide easy access to the tank for sampling diesel fuel every so often to check for contamination. The sample is sucked out with a PELA oil extractor pump.

The small 90 degree valve you are looking is on the top of the tank and is more towards the inboard side of the tank. Sorry I don't have a picture of it. Private message me if you still can't find it and I will stick a camera in there next time I am at the boat and get you a photo so you know exactly what you're looking for.
Great now we are getting somewhere. From your description I think I will be able to find the valve. Will try tomorrow or Tuesday. I was considering clamping the hose but really didn’t lime the idea of possibly compromising it. One more question(from my other thread) Do you prefer elec pump that runs constantly or that makes pressure then rests til needed?

Jan 4, 2006
Do you prefer elec pump that runs constantly or that makes pressure then rests til needed?

Don't know. I've only had the one constant speed pump and it's worked perfectly. The variable speed pump will probably do just as well. My Yanmar dealer says all makes of good quality electric pumps seem to run forever.