H31 main sheet

Oct 28, 2018
Hunter 31 Duncan Bay
does anyone off hand know the length of the main sheet on a 1986 H31. I need to replace mine,but until I get out of this hospital bed I can't get out there to measure.
in rehab all I can do is spend all my money ordering parts. when my back heals it will be back on the water to install everything.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The SBO store sells running rigging. Since the owner of SBO is former hunter I’m betting that they have the specs

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Unlike the newer Hunter sailboat manuals, the 193-87 Hunter 31 manual did not list running rigging specifications. Mainsheet length will depend on how it is rigged. When I replaced my 1987 Hunter 31 mainsheet I removed it, measured it and ordered one. That is what I do on all of my boats when replace running rigging.

Attachments

Oct 28, 2018
Hunter 31 Duncan Bay
Unlike the newer Hunter sailboat manuals, the 193-87 Hunter 31 manual did not list running rigging specifications. Mainsheet length will depend on how it is rigged. When I replaced my 1987 Hunter 31 mainsheet I removed it, measured it and ordered one. That is what I do on all of my boats when replace running rigging.
I enjoy splicing my own lines, and it would give me something to 2hile I recover.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is at least 2 times the height from the deck to the top of the mast, plus a bit of tail. For a Hunter 31 that would be about 38 feet times 2 plus a bit based on your wish to have a little extra or to run the line back to the cabin. say 15 ft. You buy 95 ft or 100 feet of line you will have plenty. They put up coils in 100 ft roles often less cost than an exact length measurement.
Of course that its for the hunter built between 1983-1987.

Any extra can always be repurposed to deck lines or fender lines. How long has it been since you updated your fender lines?

Oct 22, 2014
For centuries, knotsmanship has been passed down from generation to generation. It’s an essential skill for a man desiring to hit the high seas. Here is a link to the 7 basics from "The Art of Manliness"... 7-basic-knots-every-man-should-know

Oct 28, 2018
Hunter 31 Duncan Bay
It is at least 2 times the height from the deck to the top of the mast, plus a bit of tail. For a Hunter 31 that would be about 38 feet times 2 plus a bit based on your wish to have a little extra or to run the line back to the cabin. say 15 ft. You buy 95 ft or 100 feet of line you will have plenty. They put up coils in 100 ft roles often less cost than an exact length measurement.
Of course that its for the hunter built between 1983-1987.

Any extra can always be repurposed to deck lines or fender lines. How long has it been since you updated your fender lines?
I was thinking 100 ft roll would do. I think it is 4 loops from the traveler to the boom then up to the mast and back to the cockpit. i like doing good core in core eyes in my lines. pride and looks plus strength.

Oct 22, 2014
I whipped the end and tied a simple shackle knot.

It more than smoothly works I have about 8" of distance from top of mast to the sail headboard height.

• Helpful

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'm really confused. The OP asked about sheet length for the mainsail (a mainsheet). What does the height of the mast have to do with a sheet? Halyards, sure. Sheets? Not so much. Have I missed something?

Oct 22, 2014
By George you are correct. @SFS. I must get coffee before start reading these great questions.

With regards to the Answer submitted....
Never Mind...:biggrin:

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Sinpliest plan is to remove the main sheet and replace it with the minimum length you need to match the main sheet rigging hardware. I do not like any more sheets in my cockpit or sheet bags than I need for function. However, I do stow extra lines for other purposes, where required.