H31 ICE BOX LOCATION

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Washburn

i am considering purchasing a hunter31. one of the issues brought to my attention by my senior officer is the apparent inconvenience of the icebox location. using galley counter top space seems awkward. has anyone relocated an icebox complete with drainage?

T

Tim Op't Holt

H31 Icebox

As an H31 owner, I have not found the loaction or use of the icebox a hinderance. Sure, it could be somewhere else, but I don't know where. One just has to be organized when preparing meals so things don't get stacked-up in the corner orver the box lid. For sure, it is out of the way. Don't let this minor facor preclude your purchase. You will love how it sails, and the other spaces it affords.

S

Scott B

Not a Problem

The location of the icebox is not a problem when you consider all the plus factors and storage capability of the 31. I agree with the other response.

J

John

Officer might be mistaken

Our H31 icebox is not inconvenient, even my 4'0" eleven year-old has no problem getting what he wants from the furthestmost bottom corner of the icebox. For long trips we keep food in the ice box, and supplement for canned beverages with a cooler we place in the foot space by the quarter berth. The ice box is very well insulated, and holds ice for up to a week (put two blocks at the bottom, then cubes & food).

D

Don

Hey John

Have you beefed up the insulation on your ice box? I have an '84 31' and seems like my ice melts as fast as I put it in. I use two blocks, one in the bottom, one on the shelf and sail the Cheseapake - it melts real fast. I have been looking at how to beef up the insulation. Any thoughts?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Hey Don

Don: I agree with you. We have a refer unit in ours and the thing runs quite a bit. WIth ice it melted quickly. I am having a fellow look at ours in the next couple of weeks. We are thinking about going through the cabinet with spray foam. Not sure what we are going to do but I will let you know.

R

Rod Leonard

Hunter 31 Ice Box

Don, on my Ice Box I covered It With a A double sided foil insulation with a 3/8 bubble center membrane. What A difference. You can just about get to all the out side surface of the Ice Box and Cover it. To attach it just use 3 m Spray Foam Adhesive I think it's 555. I now can freeze those 12oz brown cans

J

John

My icebox beefup

Ron, Steve... What I did to my icebox seemed to help significantly, and it was easy and extremely inexpensive. The counter top opening to the icebox has two different sized rectangular openings, 1) the opening that the icebox lid sets IN, and 2) the rectangular opening that forms a frame for the lid to set ON (and not fall in). I cut a piece of 3/4" styrofoam to the size of the smaller opening, then taped the styrofoam (continuous strip around its perimeter) with duct tape to the bottom of the lid. This created an insulation to the bottom of the lid, and the tape acts as an air seal around the smaller rectangular opening. I then ran another continuous length of duct tape around the perimeter of the lid, creating another air seal at the larger rectangular opening. The correct taping process should cause the lid to have a snug fit when inserting it into the counter opening. The result is a double sealed insulated lid. It worked! The coldness was leaking out of the icebox through the lid and (absense of) the lid seal. This theory was consistent with an article I read in Sail magazine about icebox inefficiencies and common problems. Our ICE method is... two blocks of ice on bottom, fill in cracks with a few cubes, then food and cubes go on top. We may supplement with a bag of cubes as needed every other day (we don't use the shelf, food goes into tupperware containers). The blocks last about a week. More recently, we freeze milk jugs through the week at the house, and cut them apart for the free ice blocks on the weekends. Additionally, it helps to go into the icebox as infrequently as possible. When going in for food, get all you need first time, rather than repeatedly opening the icebox and letting the cold out. We bought our used `83 H31 last year, so I don't know for sure, but there are no external signs of previous owners having beefed up the insulation. The trouble with ours was in the lid area until we beefed it up! This may not work as a solution to your individual boat, but... it's an idea for you to consider! Okay, now I'll shut up and get off my soap box (icebox?) Steve, could you describe your battery / electrical / charging system that you use for refrigeration?

Dec 2, 1999
Hey John & Don

John: I gotta believe that your box has additional insulation. But I may try your solution just for kicks, what's not to like about the idea! We installed a Technautics Marine Refer. unit. They are high quality with a holding plate. The holding plate is mounted above the shelf and as far aft as possible. The compressor is mounted in the aft lazarette on the starboard side. I built a fence from some cutting board materials to keep anchors and other items from sliding into the compressor (this has worked well). I then mounted a third Gel Cell in the aft lazarette on the port side. We now have 3 group 30 Gels for a total of just under 300 A/H. We then have a West Marine battery combiner to charge the system. I am planning on upgrading the alternator to the 75/80 amp Hitachi that they use on the 3GM engines. This is a direct replacement for the unit on the 2GM engine (about $300 remanufactured). I did quite a bit of research before I chose this unit. Technautics Marine now has a new unit called Cool Blue that is much more efficent that my unit too. I like our unit quite well. You may also consider the A/B units they seem to be very good. I chose not to get one of these because of the water cooling. I did not want to put in a new thru hull and then need to worry about another pump for the fresh water cooling etc. That said I think they are very nice units and most people that have them like them quite well too. Hope this helps. PS: Nothing like a cool beer when you get down to the boat!

Dec 2, 1999
Rod Leonard

Rod: Did you remove the counter top to do the insulation? How did you get to it? Do you remember how much space there is around the outside of the actual ice box itself? What is the actual product that you used? What type of refer. unit do you have? So many questions, so little time.

R

Rod Leonard

Ice Box So Little Time

No did not remove countertop I think it is bonded to the ice box. Lot's of space around the ice box except on the hull side can't get there. You can around the oven, under the sink and in your storage compartment, down by the water heater I double insulated it in the storage area it seems that is where you have the most heat. My compressor is down there. You can get the material at any please like Lowe's or Home Depot. Just look in the insulation department. My frig is a smashed one the I bought and installed my self only works on 110 volt. But is great for day sailing. If you do a frig like this you will need someone who can cut the lines and reconnect them. I did my 10 yrs ago still works great, but a lot better after the insulation additions. PS the frig cost me $60.00

Status
Not open for further replies.