H31 H34 sliding cabinets

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
I like the siding door cabinets, but the boat looks untidy with all my junk in there. I saw someone on sailnet who replaced the plexiglass with wood. I imagine that would be some work taking apart the cabinetry. Has anyone done anything that would make them darker, more opaque? I thought maybe window tinting.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Can you please supply pics? That would allow us to address your question. Thanks.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Generally the track for the sliding doors has a deeper groove at the top so you can lift the door and then tilt it toward you out of the track. Though I have owned two Hunters I cannot tell you if they do this but it is worth a shot before you start tearing things apart.

Dan

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
You can remove them either by lifting and pulling the bottom towards you or pushing away from you..

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You mght try something that worked in my home on plastic storm windows on the street-level, ground floor storm windows. Use fine sandpaper in the electric sander and turn the clear plastic into frosted. One side, I did up and down, the other side. side to side. In use as a window, they act like a fresnel lens and actuall make the room broghter! You might get by with just doing one side???

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
They lift out. Lift up and then swing the bottom inward. Easy. I know what you mean. I avoid putting anything that does not compliment the interior in them which is silly. You could paint the back sides of them black or you could replace them.

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
i bought some birch plywood to make replacements . Itll be like this, but lighter. I tried to dye them using acohol based ink, but that didnt work.

unnamed (1).jpg