H31 aft birth leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Rutland

i have a leak (fresh water) in the aft birth. water drips from where the underside of the cockpit sole and the hull meet on the port side. any ideas where the water is coming from ?

T

Tim Op't Holt

Aft Berth Leak

I had a similar problem. I believe the cause was leaking at the bases of the stern pulpit tubing, which I sealed with 5200. The leak stopped.

D

Don

Me too

I have the same problem on my '84 31. Seems to be coming down the inside of the hull behind the hanging close on the port side. I have also read that the large fixed ports can be the source of this leak and I had planned to start there. The Pulpit feet sounds like a simpler first stab. I look forward to other suggestions here.

S

Scott Johnston

Fixed Ports

Had same leak. The fixed port above the nav station was leaking. It was amazing how far the water could find it's way aft into the berth. Repaired the ports and no leaks so far. Another interesting source of moisture in the aft berth turned out to be a soft cooler bag that we used for ice, left in the cockpit. As it was not as well insulated as the hard type it caused condensation on the undeside of the cockpit floor that drained down onto the steering gear cover pannel and then into the aft berth. Had fun finding that one as we didn't always use the cooler bag. Then one day it clicked - duh - simple thermodynamic physics - If it's not raining and not leaking - must be condensation! Scott 83-H34 Island Hops

D

Don

Hey Scott...

Can you tell me how you fixed the fixed ports? I've read postings here about the plastic frames breaking, etc., and am a little concerned. When I repaired the fixed ports on my previous boats it was a real bear of a job. Guess this is going to be Saturday's project. Any special techniques or advice you can offer?

S

Scott Johnston

Don - Advice on Fixed Ports

You might want to search the archives and consider replacing the fixed ports. There were several posts a while back that included info on this. As yours are the plastic frame type a replacement might be a better solution. On our 83-H34 the frames were metal. The job took several weekends to complete. I had a local company in Atlanta cut me some 1/4'' tinted lexan to approximate size. I removed the frames completely which turned out to be more difficult due to 2 of them being re-sealed by a previous owner. Application of 3M adhesive remover helped a little. Once out I repaired some minor core damage using a 2 part epoxy and marine-tex for fill. I also overbored the screw holes, sealed with epoxy and filled with marine-tex. This was the bulk of the on-board work. I had taken the frames home, removed the old lexan, and peeled, scraped, and sanded them down. Before re-painting I test-fitted the new lexan. Trimmed using a jigsaw (pvc pipe blade) and dremmel. Prepped and re-painted the frames. Back on board I re-fitted the frames, sealing with dow795 white, screwed in place. Then I sealed in the lexan windows using dow795 black. Overall result was fantastic. Much more work than initially anticipated, but thats how most boat projects go. I do have some photos and once I get some of these Y2K projects on track I'll scan them and send to Phil for posting. Good Luck. Scott. 83-H34 Island Hops

B

Bob Madeiros

Binacle Guard Thru-Bolts

I experienced yet another source of wetness in the aft berth port side on my 31. I had rain leaking thru the thru bolts attaching my binacle guard to the cockpit floor. The water then followed the hull liner over to the port side and appeared where the hull liner transitioned to the carpeted hull. After a more effective sealing of these bolts, the condition disappeared...

T

Tim

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY

I am STILL chasing down a leak in my aft cabin, but I've eliminated at least a couple of potential sources: 1. Retighten the bolts which connect the toe rail to the hull. I was surprised how much I was able to turn them (although the boat was 12 years old so it probably shouldn't have!) 2. As mentioned in a previous posting, rebed the binnacle guard caps that are attached to the cockpit sole. My next step is to rebed all the stancions, especially those around the stern. If that fails to solve the problem, I don't know what I'll do! Good luck! Tim "TIDE"

J

Jay Hill

Find the Source

Another way to help "find" the leak (sorry, no advice on fixing them) is to use a water-based water color paint or food coloring. Mix a very small amount in two to three gallons of water and pour it over all suspect areas. The colored water finds its way to the aft berth just as quickly as the clear version and at least you can easily spot the source of the leak. A quick wipe up or clean washdown will ensure no staining, but I've never had a problem with stains on anything including cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.