H30 replacing skeg with spade rudder

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Consider off-center shaft

I like Kito's solution. ;)

For anyone considering repowering a H30, consider mounting the engine a little at an angle to allow the shaft to slide past the skeg. The engine logs should be wide enough to allow for drilling new mounting holes (after the old ones are filled). On the C44 the angle is 7 degrees (both down and to the right). On a boat with a separate skeg-hung rudder (as opposed to a full keel)
you won't need anywhere near this-- about 1-1/8" in about 6 or 7 feet. It'll amount to nearly nothing in course bias.

The rule for an off-center prop is that the top blade should turn inwards. If you have a righthanded motor (as viewed from astern) the shaft should be offset to starboard.

• Helpful
Sep 13, 2016
Hunter 30 Marina del Rey
hey guys, I have a 1978 Hunter 30 and I need to remove the skeg in the water. Did anyone of you try to do this? Can I do this in the water? How is the skeg bolted into the hull? Would I risk to intake water?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
(The following is for those who might read this thread after January, 2024)

salas81,
don't try to remove the skeg in the water.
It's attached to the hull with 4 bolts inside the hull, aft of the steering quadrant.
It's sealed to the hull with 5200, the devil's glue.
So, you would have to remove all the quarter berth items, then the rear bulkhead,
and then assuming you can get the nuts off, plan for 4 "fountains" of salt water rushing into the boat. Then, you would have to find leverage to get the skeg off the hull from the outside, under water! :yikes:
I could go on...
Trust me, do it on the hard.
Good Luck.

Last edited: