H280 To Winch or Not To Winches

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
So last night I was down on the boat tinkering, cleaning and, who I am kidding, I was basically doing nothing. The sun was setting and I noticed what appeared to be two flats in the cockpit side rails.

I came home and pulled out the H280 manual and I guess there was an option for winches to be installed there. Item 30(maybe 36?) in the drawing below.

An even better drawing is below.

I know many here have owned and are H280 owners here, did anyone have this option from the factory?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My 1996 Hunter 280 did not winches on the coaming…I think that flat spot is where it would have been.
5832C4C2-45A6-4648-A4CA-F735E3D6B12D.png

it wouldn’t be that hard to add them though...if you needed them.

I had an A-spin on my boat, and I don’t really remember how I ran the spinnaker sheets…been a few years.

Greg

Aug 19, 2021
Greg,

I was replacing the engine control cover. I have it off and I am removing the 1/2 tube of silicone that one of the previous owners had gifted me when they remounted the broken POS cover instead of buying a new one.

I kept looking at that flat and thought there should be a winch there. That's when I realized there is an identical one on the other side. Kinda slow on the uptake somedays.

I will have to look and see if there is room for a cleat back there too.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you run a genoa, and locate the lead blocks on the toerail, thus creating a wider sheeting angle, a set of primaries at that location is very desirable. Having your sheet winches near the helm is going to make single handing much easier, in fact. You can find room for a cleat, no problem... or just add self tailing winches.
The additional pair of winches comes in handy if you fly a spinnaker, too.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hunter embedded aluminum plates. I used one on my deck to add a second set of organizers on my deck. The point is… you should be able to tap and die and not through bolt

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Greg,

I was replacing the engine control cover. I have it off and I am removing the 1/2 tube of silicone that one of the previous owners had gifted me when they remounted the broken POS cover instead of buying a new one.

I kept looking at that flat and thought there should be a winch there. That's when I realized there is an identical one on the other side. Kinda slow on the uptake somedays.

I will have to look and see if there is room for a cleat back there too.
Yes, they are places for winches. Our 280 did not come with those and I think I prefer it that way - makes for a nice place to sit when heeling.
I use a couple of medium sized swivel snap shackle blocks on the stantion bases to route my asym sheets to the cabin top.
P.S. - can those instrument covers be ordered? I've pretty much resigned myself to try and make a replacement.

Aug 19, 2021
P.S. - can those instrument covers be ordered? I've pretty much resigned myself to try and make a replacement.
I ordered it from the parts store on the site.
When I get home I'll look up the part #

Aug 19, 2021
Hey Crusty, did you end up adding winches? Pondering the same thing.
This years big item is going to be..... Motor mounts.

I am kicking myself in the arse for letting the Defender and West Marine BOGO winch sale pass by.

It is on the wish list for the rest of the year.

Mar 23, 2022
Hunter 280 Chicago
Thinking about pulling the trigger here as well. Any thoughts about doing a Lewmar #30 vs #16? Probably overkill and I can't go measure for a few days to know if it would even fit, but the extra heft might come in handy.

According to rgranger above, the aluminum plate should be sufficient foundation for mounting, it almost seems too easy (jinx).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
it almost seems too easy (jinx).
It is a BOAT. Project creep is going to happen. Challenge with winches, hole pattern. #16 vs 30’s are likely to have different hole placement. Add to refilling the holes and tapping the internal aluminum plate or adding your own backing plates there is being sure to proper orientation of the winch as to direction and angle of fairleads to the winch. Then where are you going to store the line tails.

I love my new 2021 winches.

Mar 23, 2022
Hunter 280 Chicago
It is a BOAT. Project creep is going to happen. Challenge with winches, hole pattern. #16 vs 30’s are likely to have different hole placement. Add to refilling the holes and tapping the internal aluminum plate or adding your own backing plates there is being sure to proper orientation of the winch as to direction and angle of fairleads to the winch. Then where are you going to store the line tails.

I love my new 2021 winches.
Luckily for Crusty and me, there's no existing holes!

Aug 19, 2021
Thinking about pulling the trigger here as well. Any thoughts about doing a Lewmar #30 vs #16? Probably overkill and I can't go measure for a few days to know if it would even fit, but the extra heft might come in handy.

According to rgranger above, the aluminum plate should be sufficient foundation for mounting, it almost seems too easy (jinx).
Lewmar has a sizing chart that I looked at this morning. The same chart is on was West Marine. I believe they could be on the large size of what I need.

Pulled the trigger on a pair of 16s this morning.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter embedded aluminum plates. I used one on my deck to add a second set of organizers on my deck. The point is… you should be able to tap and die and not through bolt
Giving this old thread a bump.

I finally "a round to it" and started the install process last night. There is not backing plates embedded in the flats.

What material and what thickness should the backing plate be?