h27 steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
This winter, I plan to rebuild the rudder/steering assembly on my 1984 h27. One of the remaining questions is whether there is some kind of seal/bearing in the steering flanges. The pics below shows the parts.
The first pic starts with the fiberglass hull/nipple and the 3" rubber hose (now 30 yrs old). Above the hose, in pic 2, are the steering flanges. These are held together by 4 small bolts. Sticking out of the top of the top flange is the prop shaft. The question is whether there is a bearing or seal somewhere in there? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
The flange on the top of the hose is actually a 2 part seal arrangement similar to the propeller shaft packing. There should be flax packing inside of the two parts of the flange. On my old h 30 which has more space between the top of the rudder stock flange and the you can actually reove the screws on the flange, separate the parts and pry out and replace the packing. Since you have no space between the top of he flange and the underside of the deck the only way to replace the packin e

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
Would be to drop the rudder.

Sorry about the break. I'm typing on my iPhone and I hit send on error

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Nelsonhow, thanks - do you know how many pieces of packing should be used? Shaft uses 3 pieces, and is seal achieved by tighting 4 screws? All the way? Thanks. Tony

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
3, I think but open it up and count the number you remove, replace with the same number....

Status
Not open for further replies.