h27 Mast Compression Post Setup??

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Foster

Although Lady Lillie's survey said the mast step was OK, I have read about issues with the compression post, and decided to check it out while the mast is down before launching next month. She is a '77 h27 with a shoal draft keel. What I found was this: Two 1 inch teak boards form a T roughly under the mast step. The top of the T is the back side of the slot for the sliding door. Is this the compression post? The boards end on the fiberglass floor of the cabin. This is quarter inch solid fiberglass mounted on what looks like glassed in 2x4's shaped to the bilge underneath. The boards (compression post?) rest on the floor about halfway between two of the 2x4's. Is this the standard set-up? Is all the mast compression (I'm running 400-550 pounds per stay) supported on the quarter inch floor? Or is some of the load carried by the arch of the cabin roof? I'm not worried, because everything is sound and worked fine through last summer, but now I'm really curious, and hoping for some insight!!

H

Howard

Just like mine

My Pleasure my 1978 H-27 is set up the same way. I'm a weekend cruiser and don't know the exact tension in my rigging but I've had no problems. The boat yard sets it up each year and adjusts if I have a problem. Love my old 27--- This year new ports, new cushions and at last a grill (I wonder when the Yanmar will give up the ghoast... not for a long time I hope).

M

Marcus Hart

Same as Mine

My '78 27 is set up the same. I just bought her in Dec. Have a little sinkage but nothing major. Howard, as long as you have good oil the Yanmar should last 'forever'.

D

David Krozier

H-27 compression post

The posts on the compression post you have read have probably not been on the H-27. Each model has a different set up. What you need to be careful about on the H-27 is water getting into the balsa core of the deck under the mast step. This happens when holes are drilled for wiring or other fittings. The balsa rots and the deck can't hold the strain. Then symptom is you will see a sloping at the mast step being forced down by the mast and the sliding door to the head will not close properly. The wooden compression post seems to hold up well. David H-27 Renegade

Status
Not open for further replies.