H260 Wheel owners, switch?

davegm

Sep 4, 2018
Hunter 260 Texas
Hi all, I just read where 8-9% of tiller and wheel owners would like to switch. I have a 2000 260 with tiller steering. Does anyone want to trade because I would like a wheel. I am in Arlington TX.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
I've never seen a 260 or 270 with tiller steering.

Yours might be a rare duck, indeed. Good Luck finding your match. If I had a 270 I'd swap you in a heartbeat. -Z

davegm

Sep 4, 2018
Hunter 260 Texas

Yours might be a rare duck, indeed. Good Luck finding your match. If I had a 270 I'd swap you in a heartbeat. -Z
I bought it last month off Ebay. That was a gamble and I won BIGLY! It is in very good condition.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Nice boat,
Nice price

Congrats.

Why do you want a wheel? It is a lot easier to install an auto-tiller than an auto-helm. I put an auto-tiller on my H26 so if you decide to go that route I can send you some pics of the install.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There were two different cockpit floors with one specifically for the wheel with a raised floor fo the pedal base to keep the floor from flexing. You will need to modify to strengthen that section of the floor On an original tiller floor. Floor can be removed by removing screws in the seam. Som seams were filled with caulk. It is an Edson wheel steering. You can buy direct or you can go thru this forum store which has alll the specs as the forum owner use to be a Hunter employee.

The wheel steering on the 260 was a must by me when designed as I told Luhrs it would sell a lot with many upgrading. Hit the mark on that one.
There are a couple of tricks I know should you go that route

davegm

Sep 4, 2018
Hunter 260 Texas
Nice boat,
Nice price

Congrats.

Why do you want a wheel? It is a lot easier to install an auto-tiller than an auto-helm. I put an auto-tiller on my H26 so if you decide to go that route I can send you some pics of the install.
Thank you. The former owner was original. When I told him I would be pulling it 900 miles south, he put on a brand new set of tires. God bless him! The seats are in close to new condition. They did not do any modifications. I am putting radios and a TV in. I have two 900 amp hour H8 AGM batteries. 25% off at Advance Auto! Putting in lots of teak to dress up the inside. Found a 16 gauge stainless sink with cutting board. I love Wholesale Marine and Ebay. Never West Marine again!

The wheel does not intrude on people's space in the cockpit. I like the response of a tiller because I learned on it. It is not worth it to me to pay for a new one. But the H260 can hold ten people and I want it for entertaining and camping more than just me sailing.

Jan 19, 2010
So here is a pic of my H26 at anchor.... :biggrin:

You can definitely get the tiller out of the way.

Please post details of your TV installation. I usually watch TV on my phone when at anchor but a small flat screen would be nice. I also want to put as Dometic fridge in my boat. I've also thought about upgrading the marine head but my marina does not have a pump out so for now the portapottie actually is more practical.
Pamlico-Breakfast.jpg

davegm

Sep 4, 2018
Hunter 260 Texas
YUM!

I want to find some teak plywood or something nice to mount the TV and radios on. I think the TV will go just inside the companionway on the starboard side. I am going to use a mount that will allow it to swing out and reverse the direction if we want to be in the cockpit or at the inside table. I am thinking about mounting the radios under the sink. That Dometic fridge will buy a lot of ice! $$$ Cha CHING! I already have several of those blue ice things. I am looking at a Yeti like cooler but for LESS $$$. I used to have a plumbed in head and I had to replace it and the valve. That valve was the nastiest chore I have ever undertaken, and I have replaced a septic pump before too.

Jan 19, 2010
I installed a nice VHF with a RAM to the cockpit.

the main radio is mounted on the back side of the stove cabinet... so you are in the main berth to see it. I like it there since the radio has AIS and alarms for collision and anchor drag. I can see it all without getting out of bed.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida

Strange, I have never seen an h260 with a wheel and I have never seen an h270 with a tiller. Must be a regional issue.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Both are the same boat one with fixed keel and the other water ballast. Most of each design had wheel steering. Unusual @Benny17441 but it can happen when most of both models came with wheel steering as I was most involved

Last edited: