H260 Tiller

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
I was just wondering of you guys with tiller steering. How one locks their tiller when at their mooring, at anchor or tied to a bouy.
Do you just lash it back, or has anyone devised a friction brake?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have the H26 with a tiller and I have a hiking stick on the tiller that I can lock into a "lock box".

I could not find a pic of mine on my computer but I did find the part on line. It looks like this

The box is cut into the combing in the cockpit (where you lay your back).

The set up works very well and I've had no problem with it coming undone. You can also use the setting on the hiking stick to set the tiller off to one side or the other to get the tiller out of your way.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--tiller-lock-box--190934

or search boat tiller lock box.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
I have Tillerlock by Cansail,they,re on Ebay Had it for 6 yrs,no problems at all

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I was just wondering of you guys with tiller steering. How one locks their tiller when at their mooring, at anchor or tied to a bouy.
Do you just lash it back, or has anyone devised a friction brake?
Lashing works very well and is virtually failsafe. Also good skill to develop for single handling.

Start at the dock cleat on one side, take several turns around the tiller handle and go to the cleat on the other side, just go under the horns and go back to the tiller handle, take several turns in the opposite direction and tie off. The turns in opposite directions “fight” each other and hold the tiller steady. If you expect extra rough weather repeat the process with another line starting on the opposite side.

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
Thanks guys, I did lash last season but found it a bit of a pain for a couple of reasons. I would like to use a quicker release, so you've given me some good options/ideas. The Westmarine link was blocked (GDPR) to me because of where I positioned but cheers anyway.