H260 - Thinking about repowering to a saildrive

Jun 29, 2015
Hunter H260 Brighton Ontario
Hey all!

I've had some great years with my H260 and have completed many upgrades including, new solar (top to bottom), garmin upgrade, wiring and power, new curtains, new mattresses, and shore power! This summer is a new stereo... :) and in the fall putting on feau teak deck for the cockpit!

All of these got me thinking about attempting to install a sail-drive!

(Leaning towards saildrive vs shaft as I really like sleeping in the aft berth.)

Feel free to weigh in on this. Currently the boat is outboard, mercury 9.9 four stroke with EZ Steer linkup, and tiller steering. I'm thinking a new Volvo, Beta, or even Yanmar 10HP with saildrive. Thinking it might be a tight fit, but willing to make space under the cockpit deck if needed. Need to add guages, throttle, start etc on the gas compartment pedestal, installed fuel tank, with access (mounted fill nozzle), battery, integration with the "house bank" to take advantage of the alternator charging function.

Will it fit? if not how much work would you estimate would be needed? Other considerations like weight distribution, below the waterline through-hulls?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
You'd probably learn a lot if you could find a 270 in your area to look at. My buddy had one in Alberta but sold it to a fellow in Kelowna a few years ago.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
That would be the first question I have. Is your 260 a water ballast 260 or a full keel 260/270? Don’t know that I’ve ever heard of a water ballast 260 with an inboard engine. The full keel 260/270’s I believe have the engine located at/under the companionway steps.

The top of the ballast tank continues to the area under the access hatches in the rear berth. To clear the aft portion of the ballast tank I would think the weight of the motor/drive could have an adverse effect on the boats trim. Another thing to consider would be how you would trailer with the new configuration.

Disregard the above if you have a full keel!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
A lot of engineering and a lot of cost not to mention a lot of the rear berth would be gone for a saildrive. If you do that, resale value will go down and hard to resale as well. Hunter to include me discussed that and found it was not a selling point but also the added cost and other issues was not worth it.

Jun 29, 2015
I have H260 with the swing keel.

I was looking at the spec for the BetaMarine 14 with Saildrive (Beta 14 Saildrive | Betamarine US Ltd.) and I think it might just fit down in the gas tank locker. Drive weighs about 2 times a standard 9.9 outboard. (100 lbs vs 200 lbs)

I would argue the weight being on the center line and back wouldn't impact sailing performance too much as the weight difference is the same a 13 year old child. I didn't think of impact to trailering. For us, we don't travel far on trailer, and launch/retrieve 2 times per year.

Trying to preserve the aft berth, minimize as much hacking and cutting to make it fit. Do you think it could fit? If not, what would be the best area to sacrifice? Pull out the panel that covers the wheel steering hardware (empty space on my boat as I'm a tiller handle configuration) under area could be cut out someone if some extra room is needed.

Any other considerations?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Would hit the trailer and bunk boards. Second the weight would seriously tilt the boat over. Maintenance another issue. Your boat your call

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have a 26 foot boat with an inboard diesel, I and would not give it up for anything. A sail drive mod would be a great add for your boat, giving reliability, power, safety, and power generation. Trailer mods are simple. Hard to prefect resale, it I bet it goes up. But who cares? Life is short. Do it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'd recommend taking a look at a new outboard. I know a couple that got a brand new fuel injected 9.9 before they did the great loop. That thing was very quiet, sipped gas and had way more power than they needed. They said they would go with a 5hp if they were to do it again. They had an O'Day 25

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Jackdaw
Hunter looked at a saildrive but decided not to for a lot of reasons from a monetary, structural, sales, weight, difficulty of maintenance and so forth. I sat in on that meeting. I would advise against it but the decision is up to the owner. So I disagree with you knowing that boat all too well. As for resale, this is an area I know and modifications to that boat for this will never recoup monies to be spent

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Jackdaw
Hunter looked at a saildrive but decided not to for a lot of reasons from a monetary, structural, sales, weight, difficulty of maintenance and so forth. I sat in on that meeting. I would advise against it but the decision is up to the owner. So I disagree with you knowing that boat all too well. As for resale, this is an area I know and modifications to that boat for this will never recoup monies to be spent
Companies make product decision based on the average customer. I'm sure the AVERAGE H260 customer didn't want to spend the money on a diesel. Perfectly happy with a OB hanging off the back. And then its not a cost Hunter has to build into the unit, it becomes a dealer sale. But if any particular customer wants one and is OK not getting 100% of that investment back (like any modification would) who's to say that's a bad idea.

If the boat cannot handle the weight and load of an 10 HP motor sitting on the hull bottom, you just showed me boat I'd never want to set foot on.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Like I told you earlier back in time the hunter 260 was designed for a trailerable sailboat for the pleasure sailor. It is up to the individual person to put on the equipment that he desires. You and I can agree to disagree

For what it’s worth, I was sent photos of such an attempt which did not go so well. There is nothing more to say on this pointn

Jun 29, 2015
Thank you all for weighing in. I suppose this has become more of a hypothetical than and actual engineering project.
Likely leaning towards NOT changing the boat, as the cost, effort, destruction is just too much. If I want a sail-drive, I should get a bigger boat. :)

Hypothetically, I was also looking at OceanVolt and other electric drives including Torqeeto and some of the POD style 10 HP equivelents. Aside from a significant investment in Lith Batteries, this seems like a viable alternative.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
As @leo310 mentioned, check out Sailing Uma. They ditched their diesel and swapped in an electric forklift motor. I think electric will be the more popular choice in about 10 years. Most of us just need to get in and out of the harbor and electric is perfect for that