H260 Solar Panel

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
My 260 has 2 batteries and came with a 15 watt flexible solar panel that was no longer charging- I measured 16V and only 5mA. I'm on a mooring, so no shore power. Time for an upgrade. I decided on a 50 watt Renogy solid frame panel mainly because it was largest that would fit the width of the 260 stern rail. I had seen other installs posted here using the Sea Dog rail clamps which supported a small panel on the rail and allowed easy adjustment or removal. My rail has the vertical bimini support poles, so the panel had to sit completely outboard of the rail, increasing the torque on the rail clamps as compared to mounting the clamps under the panel. I used 3/16 aluminum bar stock to mount the clamps to the panel. Unfortunately the weight of the panel caused it to slowly rotate down on the clamps, even after cleaning and tightening everything. Too much weight hanging out there. I didn't want another rail mount in the middle of my back when I sit at the helm, so I made a horizontal support for the other side out of 1 1/4" conduit mounted in the mast crutch hole. Works great, and can adjust angle with different lengths of conduit if necessary. It may partly block the stern light so will remove on the rare occasion we are out after sunset.

For the charge controller I went with a Morningstar Sunsaver Duo PWM 2-bank controller to charge both batteries at the same time. I considered an ACR to keep both batteries charged, but it seemed overly complicated for my simple setup. I have a 1-2-both switch- charge controller is not wired through the switch but directly to each battery.
Seems to be keeping things charged up well. Some photos below.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Can you post this under owner mods please in the 26 and 260 boat information? Miss talking with you. How are Family and you doing.

Found a used 2

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Nice job... :beer: I mounted mine on the mast crutch.
In hindsight probably would have done the same if I knew the rail mounts would not hold the weight that far out and would need a third support anyway. Like your setup- mine is going to get some shading from the folded bimini and support poles, yours looks like it is high enough to avoid most of that.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Can you post this under owner mods please in the 26 and 260 boat information? Miss talking with you. How are Family and you doing.

Found a used 2
Hi Dave

I think I did already but I can double check.

I miss VA but Charleston is nice too.

Come visit sometime.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@rgranger
Went camping at Grayson Highland. Going up second mountain, the right front brake on my truck locked up. Pulled over let rim cool down and backed up freeing the stuck caliper. Drove home fine except for a tire blowout at intersection of I 81 and 77. Anyway I made it home.
Helping another fellow with a 23.5 for free and plans to keep the boat at Pelican. Tom and I will replace the CB line.

Rob, is it worth for me to monitor the 260 group on Facebook?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@rgranger
Went camping at Grayson Highland. Going up second mountain, the right front brake on my truck locked up. Pulled over let rim cool down and backed up freeing the stuck caliper. Drove home fine except for a tire blowout at intersection of I 81 and 77. Anyway I made it home.
Helping another fellow with a 23.5 for free and plans to keep the boat at Pelican. Tom and I will replace the CB line.

Rob, is it worth for me to monitor the 260 group on Facebook?
I don't know anything about the FB page.