H260 Rudder pivot hole not straight

Oct 26, 2018
Hunter 260 TO
I am in the process of recoring my 260 rudder as it had some cracking and had taken on water. The pivot hole in the rudder is badly worn and the bushing is very loose. I would like to grind out the hole and build it back up again. As I look at the existing hole I see that it has not been drilled straight and I am not sure if this was done on purpose or in error. It seems that all of the holes in my rudder are drilled at an angle (not at 90 deg.).

Am I missing something? Is this done for a reason?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Oct 26, 2018
Hunter 260 TO
I took a couple pics last night to show what I am talking about.
So far the rebuild is coming along well but I'm still waiting for the glorious sanding, that must come later.
IMG_8497.jpg
IMG_8496.jpg

Oct 26, 2018
Hunter 260 TO
Did you take the skin off either side?
Sort of. I wanted to keep the shape of the rudder so I cut 2" wide slits in the side of the rudder every 2" apart.
I then ripped out all the wet foam and let it dry for a couple months (I told the wife it would take time to dry but really got a little lazy) I have since cut open and V'd the cracks and filled with thickend epoxy with 1/2" milled fibres. Inside the rudder I cut out the material they used to join the two halves and used more of the same epoxy mixture in a huge fillet to add more support.

63159126250__A7C0F795-AF9C-4B40-8855-5A0EADA9DD63.jpg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That was a clever way to do that. My concern is that the two sides somehow slid away from being true. Looking at the holes, as best as I can tell, they are straight in the before picture.
To answer your original question, I don't think they are supposed to be offset but I don't know the 260. So I guess the question is what next?

Oct 26, 2018
Hunter 260 TO
Well the two halves are as straight as the day they were put together. Even if the hole is not supposed to be straight the bushing in the hole had so much play it would find its own position but was still loose even when clamped down with the bolt and nut. I can't see why it should not be 90 deg. to the centre plane of the rudder so that is what I will do.
Since all the holes are cut at an angle I wonder if the rudder was out of position when drilled at the manufactory.

Oct 26, 2018
Hunter 260 TO
100 Plus views maybe someone is interested in the repair so I will update the progress.
I bored a big hole where the pivot pin was and used a chisel to clear out all the pink resin mixture they used at the factory clearing a large area under the fibreglass skin. I also cleared all the pink out of the hole where the up haul line is attached and filled both cavities with a epoxy milled fibre mix in layers as to not generate too much heat as it cures. When everything is set up I will re drill the holes. The fibreglass epoxy mixture is much stronger than the pink goo used at the factory which had developed several cracks. I marked the original hole location for re-drill

IMG_8500.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The first 260 was introduced October , 2 1997 and the last leaving the factory in early 2006. We have no history of your boat. Anything could have happened over the years from wear and tear. Hunter did not make the rudder and each was inspected before leaving the manufacturer. Close inspection of the first photo may indicate a prior repair. I have seen in the past owners have replaced the hardware with smaller hardware.

Not sure what you replaced in the cavity but anything else other than foam will increase the weight of the rudder. Others would have suggested other ways versus cutting out sections of the skin or side of the Rudder.

Again we do not have all the answers. I would suggest you address this in small Hunter sailboat section in the future

Oct 26, 2018
Hunter 260 TO
Thanks for the information Dave. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I would move it if I knew how.
I believe my hull is a 2001 as for the rudder no idea. I will be replacing the old wet foam with new 2lb polyurethane closed cell foam. I only replaced some of the pink factory filler used by the manufacturer because it was cracked in several places.
I have only owned the boat for 3 years and have no idea about previous history. It's great to be able to talk with someone involved with the production of the boat and is very appreciated. For us it is the perfect compromise between size and trailerability.

Dave would you happen to know if the there is any reason the pivot hole should be drilled at an angle and if so how many degrees?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Private message coming your way but it should be straight thru. There is another thread under hunter small boats regarding another manufacturer