H260 Mainsail Luff Tension - lug lube?

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
Hi there H260 or similar owners...

Anybody else have trouble getting enough tension on the main halyard to pull all the wrinkles out of the luff of you main? Even dead into the wind, I seem to get enough friction in the lugs to prevent me from getting the leading edge of the sail as tight as I'd like, and with no Cunningham in the design there's nothing I can do about it. I want to try to pull the draft forward a bit, but can't.

Any suggestions? I was thinking I might try a silicone lubricant on the lugs.

Jeff

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It sounds like your bolt rope has shrunk over time, and there’s more sail cloth in that area and there is rope. Many mainsail ropes are adjustable. You should check to see if you can release yours an inch or two.

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
Thanks guys, I'll check the rope thing. That makes sense. No idea whether it's adjustable or not. I'll also get some of the McLube either way. Can't hurt to have the lugs slide easier.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I used to have a tremendous problem with that but I got a new main with new slugs and the new slugs seem to slide better. It is still not a smooth as it should be but I can get my main all the way up. You might look at your slugs and see if they are scared or dirty. You may also want to take a light gauge small wire brush and clean out the sail track on you mast.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
When I observed the same symptoms that your are experiencing, I used whatever dry spray lube that I found at Lowes. It worked perfectly. I might have sent a lube soaked rag up the mast track, too, but I don't remember for sure.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
ditto what @Jackdaw said. Look for a "tail" of bolt rope hanging form the sail near the tack.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I also have folds or wrinkles in my main at the luff, and sent a photo to the loft that has done my repair work. He echoed what Jackdaw said - may be a shrunken bolt rope, which is supposedly easy to fix. I also used McLube dry on my track and slugs, after having run a bit of cloth up and down the track with a spare slug and wetted with some of the lube. That has helped raising the main a lot.