h260 lost my rudder

gudiss

Jul 19, 2016
hunter h260 ocean city nj
Saturday we were out in the ocean city nj inlet with about 15-18k of wind and 4' surf on a close haul when "POP". Boat rounded up and i realized after looking aft the rudder sheared off. the boat has wheel steering. has anyone with wheel steering replaced their rudder? if so, i would be interested to know what some of my options are. any info and or experience is much appreciated

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jackdaw, thank you sir as always for that link which is very informative. It points out a lot.
Basically the rudders of the 26 and 260 are the same but with a few tweaks in mfg... I know why the rudder head broke but that was in mfg. which was replaced. It happened to me as well. Here are a few items.
I think there are two mfgs. making replacement rudders besides the original mfg. who still makes them. Each has their own points.
The CL257 release jam cleat worked but under certain conditions did give way when it was not intended to do so. I always advocated the use of the downhaul line and tensioning clamp on the side of the rudder to keep it down. I was able to demonstrate to my customers of course with some tools inside that if the rudder head broke off, in an emergency the remaining top could be drilled thru and bolted in place to give you steerage back to the closest port. The only thing it had to be removed when loading up onto the trailer. Hopes this helps .

Jacdaw, again for your controbutions to the forum sir.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
gudiss

I had one of those ida sailor rudders mentioned in JackDaw's link on a previous boat (a balboa 26). It was a very excellent rudder. The foil shape seemed to provide a lot more lift than a typical rudder allowing me to easily turn the boat without dragging my rudder as much.