H260 Centerboard Line Replacement Questions

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Hey guys, I'm going to be looking at replacing my centerboard line in the near future. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the boat has it's original line on it from 2000 and that this has never been changed or looked at. Boat has been a salt-water boat for most of its life.

As part of the process, have a couple questions...

1. At a minimum, how high does the boat have to be lifted to change out the line? I've got a couple options with smallish Gantry cranes that would be more affordable, but the lift height is super limited (like 3' max). I'm guessing from other posts that I'm better off biting the bullet and paying a local marina to haul out on a travel lift.

2. Other than the line - is there anything you guys recommend I buy and replace at the same time that are prone to failure? Right now, it feels like I'm lifting an elephant pulling the centerboard up. I hate to spend more on parts that I don't need, but per #1 above, if I'm paying $300+ for the local marina to hoist the boat for an hour, I'd rather have parts on hand. The line I ordered from the SailboatOwners store.

I've read through Rranger's writeup and posts from Crazy Dave on the process, so I'm pretty confident on the actual part of changing out the line.

Thanks for the help!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It should not be heavy to lift. You may have a blown sheeve. There is a roller in the board itself (see diagram attached) and another at the point where the line leaves the base of the mast.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
See the write up under boat information for hunter 26 by rgranger. 7/16 inch line only. Buy from forum store

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Thanks, @rgranger - I just ended up ordering everything available as far as hardware on the site. $170 after shipping and tax in Florida but I figure it's worth it to have all on hand just in case since it has proved so difficult to lift the board.

@Crazy Dave Condon Sounds good - I did buy the line from the store.

Can you guys confirm a realistic height needed to lift the boat? Does it truly need to be fully up on a lift or can I raise it with stands and get the boat around 3' off the ground?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I am guessing but I’d imagine the minimum height would be about 4’

Jul 24, 2012
Hunter 240 Muskegon
I have a H240 which is similar to the H260. I used some screw jacks and lifted the boat off the trailer two feet. Get some help, I did it all by myself. I removed the bolt and screwed in a piece of threaded rod about 18” long. This helped removal by tapping on the rod while someone below jiggled the keel board . It dropped out with a little tapping and jiggling. It’s heavy so whoever is below make sure you got a good grip on it. I put some blocks under it so it wouldn’t fall to far at once. Once it dropped onto the center board of the trailer I pulled it back toward the stern. Most importantly, take pictures as soon was you can to see how the bushing, sleeve and line are routed and what holes are used for the bushing so you can put it all back together correctly. I cleaned, sanded, resealed and put several coats of bottom paint on while I had it out.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am a believer in safety. If anything can shift, the extra height is advantageous to quickly get out of the way. Most of you do not know what I do having been reported to me. However it is up to the owner to make that decision

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
I am a believer in safety. If anything can shift, the extra height is advantageous to quickly get out of the way. Most of you do not know what I do having been reported to me. However it is up to the owner to make that decision
Hey Dave - can definitely appreciate the safety aspect. Going to continue to explore my options and will let you know if I need help once I find a safe place and method to hoist the boat for the repair. The @rgranger writeup is super thorough so seems like that should get me through w/o a challenge (I hope! - nothing on this boat has been w/o challenges but finally getting her on the right track!)

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
However, in my case, the nut weld broke and spun freely and would not screw off of the bolt! I had to cut/grind off the entire head of that big-assed bolt to drop the CB. Then, replace and reweld the nut back onto the frame.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When putting the center board bolt on, hand tighten first because if you do not, the possibility of cross threading can happen and then you in deep pooh

gudiss

Jul 19, 2016
hunter h260 ocean city nj
However, in my case, the nut weld broke and spun freely and would not screw off of the bolt! I had to cut/grind off the entire head of that big-assed bolt to drop the CB. Then, replace and reweld the nut back onto the frame.
sounds like a boat!-

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Thanks for the help, everyone! I finally found a marina that would lift the boat and allow me to do the work so will be changing everything out in a couple weeks once this weather in the Gulf calms down.